ControlLogix MSG Read to PLC-5 via Ethernet

I am trying to read data from a PLC-5 in my ControlLogix program over Ethernet. I keep getting a connection failure. I followed this procedure from the Rockwell knowledgebase and can't figure out what's causing this problem. Both PLCs are on the same network and I can see them both in RSLinx Classic.

I am using an L64 CPU v19 with an EN2T Ethernet module in slot 0 of the local chassis. The EN2T is named "NODE1"

I setup a MSG intruction in my Logix 5000 program as follows:

Configuration Tab-
Message Type: PLC5 Typed Read
Source Element: N7:0
# of Elements: 1
Destination Element: PLC5_MSG_Read[0] (This is an INT tag)

Communication Tab-
Path: NODE1, 2, 172.20.155.94 (IP address of PLC5)
Communication Method: CIP

Does anyone have ideas as to what's causing the connection failure?

Your configuration looks fine.
I know you said they are on the same network and you can see them both in RSLinx classic. However, you should double check your ethernet settings on the EN2T and the PLC5.
The IP addresses must be in the same subnet.
Did you set the subnet mask in the PLC5?
Can you ping the PLC5 and the EN2T from your pc?

I think that the error message would indicate an invalid address, rather than a Connection timeout.

How old is the PLC-5E ? The original PLC-5E controllers and 1785-ENET sidecar modules supported only the PLC-5 Ethernet protocol, not the CIP Ethernet protocol used by the ControlLogix.

Two quick ways to tell, without even using the Knowledgebase:

1. If the PLC-5E or 1785-ENET shows up in the "EtherNet/IP" browse in RSLinx, then it supports CIP Ethernet.

2. If you use the TCPING utility and get a response from TCP Port 44818, then the controller supports CIP Ethernet.

The actual PLC-5 firmware revisions that support CIP Ethernet are somewhere in the Knowledgebase; I'd have to look them up.

You might also try appending ", 1, 0" to the end of the Path. Sometimes an endpoint device defaults to behaving as though it's a ControlLogix in Slot 0.

I am trying to read data from a PLC-5 in my ControlLogix program over Ethernet. I keep getting a connection failure. I followed this procedure from the Rockwell knowledgebase and can't figure out what's causing this problem. Both PLCs are on the same network and I can see them both in RSLinx Classic.

I am using an L64 CPU v19 with an EN2T Ethernet module in slot 0 of the local chassis. The EN2T is named "NODE1"

I setup a MSG intruction in my Logix 5000 program as follows:

Configuration Tab-
Message Type: PLC5 Typed Read
Source Element: N7:0
# of Elements: 1
Destination Element: PLC5_MSG_Read[0] (This is an INT tag)

Communication Tab-
Path: NODE1, 2, 172.20.155.94 (IP address of PLC5)
Communication Method: CIP

Does anyone have ideas as to what's causing the connection failure?

Received the exact same message trying a Clgx write to a Softlogix 5 PLC via ethernet. Only way I could get it to work was using the Clgx 1756-DHRIO to message to the Softlogix 5 via DH+

I think that the error message would indicate an invalid address, rather than a Connection timeout.

How old is the PLC-5E ? The original PLC-5E controllers and 1785-ENET sidecar modules supported only the PLC-5 Ethernet protocol, not the CIP Ethernet protocol used by the ControlLogix.

Two quick ways to tell, without even using the Knowledgebase:

1. If the PLC-5E or 1785-ENET shows up in the "EtherNet/IP" browse in RSLinx, then it supports CIP Ethernet.

2. If you use the TCPING utility and get a response from TCP Port 44818, then the controller supports CIP Ethernet.

The actual PLC-5 firmware revisions that support CIP Ethernet are somewhere in the Knowledgebase; I'd have to look them up.

You might also try appending ", 1, 0" to the end of the Path. Sometimes an endpoint device defaults to behaving as though it's a ControlLogix in Slot 0.

It's a PLC-5/80E. I couldn't see it in the Ethernet I/P browse in Linx. So looks like it doesn't support CIP. (n)

You should be able to see a PLC5 with any Ethernet interface in RSLinx regardless of the firmware. The Ethernet card needs a certain FW to talk to a 1756-ENBT not linx.
Do you have the PLC5 IP set in your linx ethernet driver config?
Can you "ping" the IP from a CMD prompt?

MarkusAurelius82, you mentioned 5/80E. Can you tell us the Series and Revision for that 5/80. That will tell us for certain if it supports CIP.

Jac, the point to Ken's comment was that the PLC-5 processors originally did not support CIP which is what EtherNet/IP is based on. A quick test is if the device does not show up when using the RSLinx EtherNet/IP driver then the device likely only supports the older CSP protocol.

OG

OG,
Sorry I missed the Linx CIP bit... that would be a good way to test. I wish new that a couple of times.

Anyways... here's firmware minimums.

For a PLC5E to talk over Ethernet to a ControlLogix controller it must the following revision or later :

Series F - All
Series E, revision D.1
Series D, revision E.1
Series C, revision N.1

You might consider doing the messaging from the PLC-5. Set up mapping in the CLX to have your array appear like a PLC-5 integer file.

OG

I have found this to be the better way to go with the Micrologix and SLCs talking to a Control/Compact Logix as well. I have experienced socket keep alive issues on the Logix5000 end that can be very frustrating to deal with.