ML1400 and Atlas Copco Controller EIP setup

kslow64

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an Atlas Copco Power Focus 4000 and a MicroLogix 1400. I need to capture the Final Torque and Final Angle from the PF to the ML1400. The PF has EIP capability.

When I spoke with Atlas Copco tech support they told me that they did not provide programming or setup examples for PLCs. I have no idea what the Data Table address should be on the Target Device. (see image) On top of that I haven't done Logix500 programing
in well over a decade.

I am currently getting these errors:

ERROR: Target address must not be indexed or specified to the bit level!
ERROR: No Multihop Path Entries Exist

MSG%20Setup_zpsoxknrsnd.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly

My guess is that they have a CIP object model of some kind, rather than emulating a SLC-500 data table.

Do they provide any documentation, if they don't provide examples ?

This got my curiosity up so I looked up the Atlas Copco PF manual. I cant tell if it is written intentionally ambiguous or if it a translated manual. It does say that the PF can do Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP/IP. They even give the parameters for setting it up. But they don't give any info on the Modbus Addresses or any of the CIP object info to actually get that data. Very strange!! Makes me wonder if they are just trying to get you to call them and have them do the integration.

Here is some related info I found.

AC_PF_EIP.jpg AC_PF_Final.PNG

I think you are in for some sadness. As Ken indicated, it looks like the PF4000 is intended to be an Ethernet/IP I/O slave, based on the assembly instance info that Bullzi attached. This means the ML1400 will not be able to communicate with it, as it cannot act as an Ethernet/IP master.

Your communication command type is definitely not right. You need to do CIP reads and CIP writes. I'm not sure if the ML1400 supports CIP explicit messaging or if the PF4000 will accept CIP explicit messages. If it does the PF4000 manual should contain a table of items you can read and write that will list the instance and attribute information of all the parameters. If you can perform a CIP read/write the MSG instruction entry window will change to allow you to enter those parameters.

My guess is you are SOL.

Keith

Give this a try

I recently had a project where I had 5 components communicating with a MicroLogix 1400 via CIP messaging. Take a look at the set up on the messages in this sample program. Based on the into you provided, this might work for you.

If the Atlas-Copco device can be a Modbus/TCP Server, then that's probably the way to go.

The MicroLogix 1400 Series B (in production for 4+ years or so) can be a Modbus/TCP Client or Server.

That would be my choice. Simple to set up, and easier to troubleshoot and analyze.

This got my curiosity up so I looked up the Atlas Copco PF manual. I cant tell if it is written intentionally ambiguous or if it a translated manual. It does say that the PF can do Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP/IP. They even give the parameters for setting it up. But they don't give any info on the Modbus Addresses or any of the CIP object info to actually get that data. Very strange!! Makes me wonder if they are just trying to get you to call them and have them do the integration.

Here is some related info I found.

BINGO!

I called tech support and was told they don't offer any support for it. Really it's a huge waste of time because like you said there isn't anything clear on the technical side of things.

I did get them to send me the manual for the Open Protocol Specification so I can write my own serial interface. What a pain in the behind.

EDIT:
I have the manuals and I recognize those pages you referenced. I agree, it's not a great manual.

Last edited:
If the Atlas-Copco device can be a Modbus/TCP Server, then that's probably the way to go.

The MicroLogix 1400 Series B (in production for 4+ years or so) can be a Modbus/TCP Client or Server.

That would be my choice. Simple to set up, and easier to troubleshoot and analyze.

The PF has an AnyBus device inside the unit. Modbus/TCP is an option... although I am not sure how to set that up to talk to the ML 1400?

A quick search turned this up. It even has sample code.
http://www.mesta-automation.com/modbus-configuration-example-for-an-allen-bradley-micrologix-1400/

Last edited:
Unless you can get them to send you a Modbus Map for the registers it will be very hard to find what you need. See if they can give you that info and you are in.

Thanks BachPhi,
Do you have the Modbus TCP mapping addresses for the AtlasCopco?
The manual does not explain the detail.