AB CLX controller communicating with S7

dmbartender

Hello all,

I would like to make a 1756-L62 CLX processor communicate with an S7 CPU 317-DP (coupled to a CP-343 ethernet card). The data to communicate will be a sructure having about 14000 bytes. The data is to be sent from the CLX to S7.

First of all, has anyone connected a CLX and S7 processor together?

What is the largest packet size CLX can send using 'produced' ?

Any tips would be great.

This post is a throwback to thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=277190#post277190I've also read through some older threads concerning communication between S7 and CLX, however the data I need to send is of much larger magnitude.

The SST card from woodhead can write a maximum of 244 bytes to a slave, if I've understood that correctly and the slave would be the S7 controller.

I'd need to send 14000 bytes.

Is there a solution for sending such large amounts of data? OPC server, or Profinet Proxy?

The time isn't so critical.

well, first of all, the amount of data to be sent was reduced and sent over separate UDP connections. I ended up using a CP-343 on the S7 side, and EWEB module on the CLX side. On the S7 side it's actually pretty easy using the AG_Send and AG_Recv blocks. It's trickier on the CLX side though, requiring a number of different message commands.

Hi dmbartender,
Using CLX u can communicated wit any device via Ethernet using TCP/IP Sockets..
Your Hardware needs a 1756-EWEB module and u can use MSG instruction to transfer Data to any device over Ethernet,

How did you do it ?

well, first of all, the amount of data to be sent was reduced and sent over separate UDP connections. I ended up using a CP-343 on the S7 side, and EWEB module on the CLX side. On the S7 side it's actually pretty easy using the AG_Send and AG_Recv blocks. It's trickier on the CLX side though, requiring a number of different message commands.
How about a short howto for the steps required to achieve this ? 🤞🏻
Post it in the downloads section, and gain eternal fame and praise. :geek:

Hi JesperMP,
i can get u the details from CLX side but i not sure how far it can work with siemens..

Last edited: