50amp 3 phase water pump

shaneprasad

Hi guys .... we have a new 50amp 3 phase water pump to supply water for our new machine. Just want to know what would be a suitable starter for this pump. Basically the only tme this pump would be switched on when the production is running on that new line. We do not require a pressure switched control system. The pump will run continuosly while the production is running. Can we fit a 50amp DOL starter. What do you guys recommend? Your help highly appreciated. Thanks

At 50A I'd be considering a soft starter myself.

There are many brands, my preference is Schneider, ABB or Danfoss.

Whilst you may not need a pressure switch i would consider some form of dry run protection.

Thanks...can a star delta starter be used as a soft starter in this case.

It can be done, and would be better than starting across the line in delta, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. At 50HP I would really push for a soft starter, or a drive.

Bubba.

Gentlemen, you can only use a star-delta or wye-delta starter on six lead or twelve lead motors. You need both ends of all the motor coils in order to configure star and delta.

As mentioned, either an across-the-line starter with its inherent starting inrush current or an electronic soft starter with its ability to reduce starting inrush about in half on very easy starting loads would be your best choices.

Gentlemen, you can only use a star-delta or wye-delta starter on six lead or twelve lead motors. You need both ends of all the motor coils in order to configure star and delta.

As mentioned, either an across-the-line starter with its inherent starting inrush current or an electronic soft starter with its ability to reduce starting inrush about in half on very easy starting loads would be your best choices.
While Dick is correct on the motor requirements, most likely any motor that big in Fiji is probably going to be wound for star-delta. That doesn't mean I recommend it though because I agree, it's an outdated technology that was at BEST questionable and most likely just a way for people to accomplish starting current reduction in as cheap a method as possible, in spite of the risks involved. A solid state soft starter on the other hand works on any AC induction motor and it far easier to set up.