A-B 1747-UIC to SLC 5/04

fredbear

Hello all,

I have a couple of SLC 5/04 processors that I'm trying to get re-programmed. They are old used units and I'm plugging them into a new 13-slot rack with a 1746-P2 power supply. They fault, of course, being in a new rack with different I/O than what their program is expecting, but I cant seem to connect to them to re-configure them.

I'm using a 1747-UIC from 2 computers, symptoms are identical. Both computers can connect via the uic to the same rack with a 5/02 processor installed with RS-485, but switching to RS-232 and using the 1747-CP3 cable nothing shows up in rs who when trying to connect to both 5/04s. What am I missing? Is the communications somehow locked to DH+ only? Am I then screwed unless I can get hold of a PCMK card?

TIA,

fredbear

Have you changed and autoconfigured the rslinx driver? Did it communicate with the processor during autoconfigure? The other thing would be is the serial port on the processor configured for serial communications, if it was changed to ascii then you would not be able to communicate rs232 to it untill you have changed it.

how would I change it back from ascii? Is there another way to connect via a serial port on a computer to change this sort of thing, or do I need a PCMK card?

The UIC is a USB to DH-485 converter only. The RJ45 connector and the DB9 connector on the UIC each ONLY do DH-485.

The SLC 5/04 has an RS-232 serial port and by default talks DF1 protocol.

To talk to the serial port of a SLC504 in its default configuration you need an ordinary USB-RS232 converter to plug your 1747-CP3 cable into. The UIC is the wrong converter.

Last edited:
Your USB-RS232 will have a serial port number assigned to it. If you have one connected to your laptop then in RSLinx->Communications->Configure drivers look to see if you alrady have a driver configured. If you don't, then click the down arrow under avalable driver types, select RS232-DF1 devices, and click Add New. Now you will get a configuration window. Select the comm port number there.

Holy ****!!! It works! Who would've thunk? 1747-UIC is junk, then, for RS232. even though it has a switch and port for the express purpose. Wow. Thanks.

In some factories after they get the SLCs with RS232 ports online they change the port 0 protocol to DH485, usually because they have an established DH485 network with perhaps some SLC5/03s or 5/02s on it. In these cases then the DB9 port on the UIC is needed. Basicaly, if you would use a PIC, then you can replace it with the UIC. If you wouldnt use a PIC, then dont use the UIC.

Well, your input is much appreciated. I had no idea that the serial port on the processor wouldn't be configured for DH485 as default. You learn something new every day.

fredbear said:
Holy ****!!! It works! Who would've thunk? 1747-UIC is junk, then, for RS232. even though it has a switch and port for the express purpose. Wow. Thanks.

No, the DB9 port is for communicating DH485 over RS232 (you're using DF1 over RS232). But the product was intended to replace the old PIC.

EDIT: OOPs, sorry for the duplication, didn't see Alaric's response.

A little light reading

Glad you got it figured out, Fred.

I learned about the SLC-500 serial port functionality by reading the SLC-500 Modular Hardware Style User Manual. It's an oldie but a goodie, last revised in 2004 and available for download or hardcopy order.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

As you'll find in many of the (dozens of) other threads on this Forum regarding DF1/DH485 on RS-232, I carry a 1747-UIC only for connecting the DH485 networks, and a Keyspan U19 USB/RS232 converter for all other connections, including Modbus, DeviceNet via 1770-KFD, DF1 Full Duplex, and ASCII.

The U19 isn't produced anymore, but it's successor the HS19 is stocked by several electronics retailers. There are cheaper USB/RS232 converters out there but the Keyspan unit is faster, more functional, and more compatible with everything I've tried on it than any other.

Now if only I had a DeviceNet to USB2.0 interface with capture ability and a CAN signal monitor, I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks Ken.

I picked up a keyspan 19HS today, even though the iogear seems to be working fine right now. Never hurts to have a backup.

I have a different problem(s) now. After I got the coms going in my 5/04, I loaded a program that is running in the field (I'm in the office). This office rack of course has completely different IO than the one in the field.

1st problem: The program uses half duplex on channel 0. I downloaded the program and promptly lost communications. I eventually figured out to use the 'DF1 Polling Master' driver instead of the RS232/DF1 devices in RSLinx (that took a while). Is this the best route to take? It seems to work. Now I gan go online, which leads me to

Problem No.2: the processor faults when switched ro remote run or run from the switch on the processor itself. The major fault given is "Module 1 user module that is needed is missing or removed". Or something to that effect (I've shut everything off for now - it's Friday night after all). Is this a reflection of the absence of IO modules that the program is expecting to see? If so, is there no way now to test changes I make on the 'test' rack I have in the office?

Fredbear,

You have a tough choice to either match your office SLC I/O moudles with the field unit, or change all the Input and Output addresses of your office version program to match your office SLC. this is not very useful because once you change the program to match your office machine I/O, it cannot be run on the field unit.

Neither one is very attractive, but the best for me would be to buy some spare backup modules for the field, but install them temporarily in your office machine to exactly match the field unit. You can find the odd module on E-bay for very cheap prices. Then you will have a test bench setup that you can do some real tests with, and still run the results on the field SLC.

Last edited: