I have 10 PLC's , each one in different unit
3 are of rockwell Control Logix 5555
4 siemens S7-400
2 ABB
1 Rockwell 80C

I want to get plant data from each of above PLC and put it in a oracle database

I have thought of implementing with OPC
but then it will require 10 OPC servers
so pls anyone have any idea how can i put data from all 10 plc's in single data base server

Regards
Sameer

What are your tag count? 10,000+?

Might have to go with the big boys: Honeywell, Emersion, Invensys etc

The DCS vendors have standard drivers for all major PLCs. And they have tools that help you bring all the tags into an Oracle database in relatively short time.

Really you'll only need three OPC servers, one for each brand of controller.

If you went with a multi-protocol vendor like Kepware, Matrikon, Applicom, or Software Toolbox, you might only need one.

What you're talking about, "putting plant data in an Oracle database" is what most people call a Database Transaction Manager.

Depending on the scope and speed you need, there are a lot of options, from Rockwell's RSSQL and RSHistorian to Wonderware's IndustrialSQL and Historian to OSISoft's PI product.

The other aspect to discuss here is what you want to do with that data once you've logged it. Want to run reports ? Just keep records ? Analyzer for anomalies ? Prepare regulatory compliance documents ?

I will be using my own OPC client

and i will be maintaining a intermediate database in which my opc client will put data

The system ERP will access my database as and when it wants
Also high level inventory, production optimizing softwares will use this data which wiull be alos developed by us

So u r suggsting that i should loop this PLC's like siemens loop, AB loop etc
rt?
What hardeare wil li require

Last edited:
I wrote a few responses to you but I am having trouble keeping them positive.

Are you seriously a professional software developer or are you a student looking for advice on how this is done ?

Last edited:
I am not a professional developer
Ifi had basic industrial knowledge i wouldn't be here at first place

just a suggestion!!

Dear Sam,

I seriously think that all your effort will be saved byonly using
a SCADA like Zenon by COPA-DATA!!what say guys?its got sql databse connectivity and a multidriver system also it can log reports,alarms etc.

Answer

I assume you have configured an OPC server with Simatic NET.
A cheap solution would be to use Visual Basic.NET or C# to connect to the OPC server and to Oracle and let this application read and write your variables.
But...you'll have to be capable of programming something like this.

I assume you have configured an OPC server with Simatic NET.
A cheap solution would be to use Visual Basic.NET or C# to connect to the OPC server and to Oracle and let this application read and write your variables.
But...you'll have to be capable of programming something like this.

Bringing this one back from the dead, eh.

Definitely look at Kepware, although you can buy separate licences they do a manufacturing suite this contains virtually all the drivers you will need for about the cost of 2-3 drivers. Just check that it will contain the drivers you need. You can download a trial that runs for 2 hours, then re-start it for another 2 hours.