HMI Graphics for View Designer

lavito1960

Good morning,
I am interested in making my Panelview 5510 to have that close representation of the application. Is there a website where I can find conveyor graphics such as a conveyor actually tilting forward or a rotating type conveyor table. Just looking for some really cool graphics so my hmi isn't so bland

A few things, one, what will a close representation offer over a stick figure? Two, if you must have a cool graphic, draw it yourself or get it from the OEM, I'm sure they have one.

But, cool graphics do nothing for the user. Spend more time with data that actually means something.

Do you need a picture on the screen, could they not just look at the machine?

Putting relevant info aiding smooth running would be better use of the space and design time. Especially if it stops some bubba having to fire up the laptop.

As others have mentioned I would caution the use of pictures and animations that are not necessary.

The HMI doesn't need to be bland looking, you can still have a slick looking HMI that is very functional... just try not to add anything that is going to be distracting, obscures the information or is camouflaged.

If you need inspiration have a google search for HPHMI, have a read of the 'HPHMI Handbook' (highly recommend this one, very easy to read) or 'The Design of Everyday Things'.

Our integrator likes to put CAD of a fixture as the background when showing the status of sensors on that fixture... if you need to find the sensor causing a problem you just look at where the sensor indicator is on the image, then go there on the actual fixture. Quite handy.

Those are pretty much the only images used other than a company logo, and animation is avoided entirely.

Some years ago, a customer wanted a Scada system added, they called in a number of Scada reps & chose Factorylink, they had a demo where they had 3D graphics of motors, valves etc. all animated, pipework again was just like looking at the plant in real time, looked very impressive & that's what they wanted, after we put our prices in, they realised the cost was way over the top, we estimated that to produce the graphics i.e. by taking pictures or cad drawings of the equipment, animating them etc. would at the very least increase the cost by 100%, they settled for our standard animations in the end.
It looks pretty & in some way having a 3D image helped with locating equipment but is totally not required, often animation in real time is not practical due to communications versus real time due to the extra amount of data used just to create it.

Our integrator likes to put CAD of a fixture as the background when showing the status of sensors on that fixture... if you need to find the sensor causing a problem you just look at where the sensor indicator is on the image, then go there on the actual fixture. Quite handy.

Those are pretty much the only images used other than a company logo, and animation is avoided entirely.

From experience, this is one of the best methods to use for HMI, if you can, and if its feasible and practical.

Years ago, I was tasked with re-doing an HMI program for one of the machines at the shop I was at because the existing one failed and we didn't have a backup program anywhere. The OEM didn't have anything for us either. So I found all the CAD files for the machines on the line, then a little bit of editing of them in AutoCAD and Photoshop so that I could use them, and then I used those images as the background images for the HMI. Then I put indicators for sensors, motors, animated conveyors, and even the parts on the conveyors moving down the line and through the machine. It was a drastic change compared to the previous HMI and what was on other identical machines and also a bit risky (most people don't appreciate change), but it was a HUGE hit with the maintenance personnel. The operators had no complaints either. The company expanded and put in two more production lines and prior to doing so, requested from the OEM to mimic the HMI I did for new lines/machines.

I don't see anything wrong with getting creative with your HMI or UI. Just don't go overboard with it. Keep the colors subtle and make sure they work together and don't clash. Maintain as high data-to-ink ratio as possible. Try to make it as user-intuitive as possible. There are entire university courses devoted to proper User-Interface design, that cover everything from proper use of color, to placement of controls, when and when not to use animations, etc, etc....

Last edited:
You could also use Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator to make your own icons, then just have your own library for whenever you do an HMI project. I know some people think this is unnecessary and a waste of time, but once you have a library the programming of your HMI layout becomes pretty standard and easier. Plus it's fun

Thanks I really appreciate it. I jut wanted to do something different from the normal since I have the time and I am doing it myself. I do appreciate everyone's opinion but to me it's never a waste of time if you're passionate about it and it isn't costing any additional capital.

Have made several HMI interfaces. Animated graphics look great, but for the plain Jane operator they will appreciate a more intuitive interface that make their job easier. Any input or parameter change being quick and easy with easy to read feedback or conformation of the change. Make you read back big so they don't have to be right on the screen to read it. Plus (like me) older operators might need reading glasses.

The other thing is navigation, operators hate complicated navigation. One or two buttons at the most to get where they need to go.

Other then that you have gotten alot of good feedback on this topic.

Good luck and above all...........HAVE FUN