AOI referencing Controller Tag for run mode reference

If you need a parameter that's hard-coded to a controller-scoped tag and doesn't have to be added to each "instance", you would use a subroutine instead of an AOI.

Subroutines can have input and output parameters (which would be your UDT) but can also work directly with controller-scoped tags without having to map them in or out.

Of course, you don't get some of the niceties of an AOI, like individual instance monitoring and portability, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you need a parameter that's hard-coded to a controller-scoped tag and doesn't have to be added to each "instance", you would use a subroutine instead of an AOI.

Subroutines can have input and output parameters (which would be your UDT) but can also work directly with controller-scoped tags without having to map them in or out.

Of course, you don't get some of the niceties of an AOI, like individual instance monitoring and portability, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

🤞🏻 I want to have my cake and eat it too!

I'll look into subroutines. Trying to make this program as simple looking as possible while still having some cool modular abilities like parameter based displays on the PV without too much confusing coding on the PLC side.

But overall I'm just looking to learn and see what's possible.

Find and replace??

If you add a new input parameter, it will insert a '?' as the placeholder. If the required place holder is a global tag called 'E_Stop'...

I NEVER thought if that... I didn't think that "?" Would be searchable, I'll try that next time.

One thing that really bothers me about AOI's is that if you remove a required input you have to go back to every single rung and click on it and hit backspace enter- er somethin, to get rid of the unused feilds, it's a real pain when your prototytyping an AOI for the first time.

I think you can do exactly what you want or as near as possible
First create you AOI with all your Inputs and Output parameters
In the AOI definition assign the parameter as visible or not and Required or not as you want.
Then add it to you ladder program
You will be asked to create a new tag of the AOI you just added do that
Then in all the inputs if you have not done so yet enter your default data 1 or 0 for bool type and of course values as needed for the other types.
On the outputs on the first one I add I like to enter Default tag Names “ Default For CC”, “ Default Rev CC” you get the picture.
Fill in any In’s Out’s that have a question mark so there are no unassigned Values.
Then right click on the newly added AOI and select menu item Properties
In the bottom right corner select and click on Save Instruction Defaults
Click on OK to close the Properties window
Again right click on the AOI
Select and click on the menu item Save Instruction Defaults

You have just saved data you just entered for the Inputs and Outputs as the defaults for the AOI except for the AOI Tag Name that must be entered for each new added AOI you use.
(When you add an AOI Logix5000 will automatically create the new tags for your AOI )
At this point I like to export my AOI so I can import it into other programs as I need it.
By exporting it, it will also export the Instruction Defaults with the AOI so the next time toy import it you will get the saved defaults.
Now go back to you original AOI and assign the real tags to the default values you entered as if you are using it.

When you add a new AOI in you ladder program it will pop up and ask to create a new tag for the AOI
When you have created the new tag it should be populated with the default data you entered
All you have to do is reassign the default vales to the tags you want if the default data will work for you then you don’t have to reassign it.
If you assign the default tags to global tags like E_Stop when you and save it when you create a new AOI the tag will be imported at that time.
The only thing if the Default tags that you use “Default For CC” are not already created I the program you are importing to you will be prompted to create it for the first AOI after that they will be already assigned.

I hope that helps
It works for me and saves a ton of time

I think you can do exactly what you want or as near as possible
First create you AOI with all your Inputs and Output parameters
In the AOI definition assign the parameter as visible or not and Required or not as you want.
Then add it to you ladder program
You will be asked to create a new tag of the AOI you just added do that
Then in all the inputs if you have not done so yet enter your default data 1 or 0 for bool type and of course values as needed for the other types.
On the outputs on the first one I add I like to enter Default tag Names “ Default For CC”, “ Default Rev CC” you get the picture.
Fill in any In’s Out’s that have a question mark so there are no unassigned Values.
Then right click on the newly added AOI and select menu item Properties
In the bottom right corner select and click on Save Instruction Defaults
Click on OK to close the Properties window
Again right click on the AOI
Select and click on the menu item Save Instruction Defaults

You have just saved data you just entered for the Inputs and Outputs as the defaults for the AOI except for the AOI Tag Name that must be entered for each new added AOI you use.
(When you add an AOI Logix5000 will automatically create the new tags for your AOI )
At this point I like to export my AOI so I can import it into other programs as I need it.
By exporting it, it will also export the Instruction Defaults with the AOI so the next time toy import it you will get the saved defaults.
Now go back to you original AOI and assign the real tags to the default values you entered as if you are using it.

When you add a new AOI in you ladder program it will pop up and ask to create a new tag for the AOI
When you have created the new tag it should be populated with the default data you entered
All you have to do is reassign the default vales to the tags you want if the default data will work for you then you don’t have to reassign it.
If you assign the default tags to global tags like E_Stop when you and save it when you create a new AOI the tag will be imported at that time.
The only thing if the Default tags that you use “Default For CC” are not already created I the program you are importing to you will be prompted to create it for the first AOI after that they will be already assigned.

I hope that helps
It works for me and saves a ton of time

Hey another good idea, thanks! I'll have to give that a try too!

I have to say. I thought I had found a really clever way of integrating my UDT for M13_1 and AOI tag for M13_1. I figured that I would make the AOI tag a member of the UDT tag, and then use the same UDT tag as an IN/OUT on the AOI. I had a feeling that that would cause a roundabout reference, and it defiantly does, Logix will NOT let me do it, for good reason I suppose. In the future I plan to ditch the UDT tags for motor control variables and integrate Them into AOI parameters. But that's work for the future.