Electrical Interior Panel

Timeismoney08

Hello All,

What are the requirements in the US for electrical enclosure interior panels? I want to make up some pre-configured panels that I can drop in.

Do they have to be painted?
Conductive for ground?
certain Thickness?

Any references to code would be great!

Thanks in advance.

The NEC doesn't dictate construction methods of components, including back panels for enclosures. But what you are asking about is done all the time (pre-building controls onto back panels).

Painting is not required by any codes, but it is "standard" for the industry because you want a background that allows you to easily see the components.

Good grounding IS a big deal and whenever you ground something to a back panel it's good practice to get down to bare metal.

Metal thickness has to do with having enough physical strength to hold onto screw threads without letting them pull out. 14ga (1.897 mm) is considered the standard for industrial work, but that still depends on your construction methods and what is being mounted.

jaref is correct.

I do have some questions.

is this a 1,2,3 type panel or mass quantity?
the small quantity panels will kill you, but mass quantity panels save time.
make a master drawing with dimensions and mark them off, center punch, clean the marks, then drill, I've done tones of them.
these were all of the same type wiring though.

james

No to Painted

Hello All,

What are the requirements in the US for electrical enclosure interior panels? I want to make up some pre-configured panels that I can drop in.

Do they have to be painted?
Conductive for ground?
certain Thickness?

Any references to code would be great!

Thanks in advance.

We ship machines to Europe. Prior to shipment we undergo CE EM Radiation testing. Painted panels insulate components from solid ground. We now specify exclusively galvanized backplanes to support more efficient grounding of all components in the enclosure.

https://www.hoffman-panduit.com/ass...14-ww-eng-noisemitigationwp-wupdatedfinal.pdf

Best regards

Plastic