RSLogix 5 program migration to RSLogix5000

Unregistered

U
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to import/migrate an existing RSLogix5 (PLC5/30) application into RSLogix5000 (Controllogix), or do I have a re-write on my hands? Thanks

Doug T.

It is pretty clunky, but it will convert the logic.

You end up with poorly named tags and very poor memory utilization.

In a pinch I would use it. I would validate very carefully myself though. I would not trust it 100%

Given the time, you would be far better off to write the code and create the tags by hand.

I'd back up what RSL said; what you get is a CLX "dumbed down" to look like a PLC5. It'll scan faster (and probably cost a bit less) but won't take advantage of all the advances that the CLX offers. I'd use it to get the overall "shape" of the ladder, especially if you've invested some time in debugging it on the previous platform.

You can simply drag and drop ladder from Logix5/500 to Logix5000 but this won't generate the tags for you.

In case you're still interested in this, AB has a manual you can download which may tell you more. Thought I'd throw it at you if you still want to play around with it.

Russ
asterisk.gif
Converting PLC-5 or SLC 500 Logic to Logix5550 Logic Reference Manual1756-L55Reference Manual1756-RM085B-EN-P