Siemens Touch Panel Tag Help

GTX

Hi

I am new to the Siemens programming scene and I have been given a task of using a TP170B touch panel to control an S7-300 PLC. For software I am using Protool Lite and Step 7 Professional.

What I would like to know is how do i directly trigger an output on the PLC. more specifically how do i create a tag that will trigger output Q124.5 on the PLC.

I was also wondering how can i create a tag to toggle a bit on the touch panel ? For example, i would like to trigger a bit that would activate an output like Q124.5.

Sorry for the newbie like questions, but any help someone could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Hello Barry;
Look at the "Edit Bits" functions available for most graphics objects in ProTool.
For example, set up a button; double-clik the button to see its properties, open the Functions tab. A split screen should open, showing on one side the event that you can choose to trigger the function (OnClick, OnButtonDown...) and on the other side the available function groups. In the Edit Bits group there are 3 functions that you can use for your application: Set Bit, Reset Bit and Invert Bit. Just parametrize the function with the bit address you need.
Say you wish to toggle Q124.5 with your button. In the Functions tab, select the OnClick event, Open the Edit Bits group, select Invert Bit, click on the Parameters button and write in the Q124.5 address with the selection boxes available. Click OK or Apply (very important!), save and download your program. If your comms are set-up correctly, you should be able to set abd reset your output bit with succesive clicks on the button.
Hope his helps,
Daniel Chartier

Daniel,

Thanks for your help.

I have created a dummy program in the Touch panel that has one button with the a tag called "Test".

This tag has the following parameteres, and is setup to turn on output Q124.1:
Type: BOOL
Range: Q
Q: 124
Bit: 1

I have this tag associated with a button configured with the function to invert_bit as you suggested.

This program is downloaded to the touch panel but when i hit it i get the following error "Tag: test: could not be written to the PLC"

What am I missing ? What do I need to get this to work ?

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated :)

Check your settings of the CPU in the hardware config for the PLC PORT you are connected to. Get the baud rate and address of the CPU. OPen the Protool project and look under the "Controllers tab and make sure they are the same for the CPU and a different address for the panel. Are the correct cables connected betwenn the two? If you are using the profibus connectors with terminators, make sure you are going in the rear cable entry.

When you poweroff/poweron your panel you should get a messeage that tells you if the panel manages to connect to the plc or not. If it dosent check the settings that RRobbins recommended.

Maybe the problem is that you have created an empty project except that write tag. I think that the TP170 doesnt startup the online comms before it has to, so you wont get that message that says if the online connection has been established at startup.

Create a new tag (or use the same tag) and display it on the startup screen. That should force the TP170 to initialise the connection at startup.

In STEP7 you should be able to "see" both the S7-300 and the TP170 when using the PLC..Display accessible nodes function.

Yeah it was a communication issue.

I think i got it figured out.

Thanks for everybody's help !!