RE: FactoryTalk View Studio 6.10 - Can't get it to install, any ideas ?

rtgibson

RE: FactoryTalk View Studio 6.10 - Can't get it to install, any ideas ?

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to get Rockwells FactoryTalk View Studio to install. it's version 6.10. I have tried it on three different completely fresh builds (Win 7 Pro, Win 7 Ultimate and even Win Vista Business) all are 64 bit OS's. I've even tried three different sets of media - a version that I download from Rockwell, an original Rockwell DVD and the copy on an edition of Revs. All of them give me the following problem: -

When the install reaches the point where it has to install SQL 2008 R2 Express it fails......

Any ideas ?

Regards
Russ

Welcome to the Forum !

Are there any error messages or codes, or does the installation just "hang" ?

The only trouble I've had installing SQL Server Express 2008 has been when I didn't follow the password complexity rules for the 'sa' user account.

The RA Knowledgebase suggests that the SQL Server Express installation can fail if the source path is too long; they suggest moving the installation files to C:/ or C:/Temp.

I had run into the issue when installing Factory Talk View SE. This is a permissions issue on Rockwell's end, as i couldn't install it even though i was part of the administrator group. They will say its a Window's issue, but there is no end to this argument.

Anyhows to get it to work, you have to login as the local or the network admin. Then it seemed to install just fine. No problems using my local account after that. And yes as Ken Suggests, you probably are getting stuck at SQL Server Installation.

RE: Error Messages

Hi - thanks for the replys.

When it errors it gives me a popup stating error code '0x57C2DF62' and tells me to check the SQL error logs.

Inside the SQL error log it gives me the following: -

2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: Running Action: ExecuteInitWorkflow
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: Workflow to execute: 'INITIALIZATION'
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: Error: Action "Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.BootstrapExtension.ExecuteWorkflowAction" threw an exception during execution.
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: Parameter name: InstallMediaPath
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.InitializeMsiExtension.set_InstallMediaPath(String value)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.ObjectDatastoreIntegration.SetInputSettingInputPropertiesOnObject(Object pendingObject, TextWriter loggingStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.ActionDatastoreIntegration.SetPropertiesOnRunningAction(ActionKey key, TextWriter loggingStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionMetadata.NotifyInExecution(ActionKey actionRunning, TextWriter loggingStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionEngine.RunActionQueue()
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.Workflow.RunWorkflow(WorkflowObject workflowObject, HandleInternalException exceptionHandler)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.BootstrapExtension.ExecuteWorkflowAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(TextWriter statusStream, ISequencedAction actionToRun)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(TextWriter statusStream, ISequencedAction actionToRun)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionWithRetryHelper(WorkflowObject metaDb, ActionKey action, ActionMetadata actionMetadata, TextWriter statusStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)
2013-11-13 15:42:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionEngine.RunActionQueue()

For the sheer hell of it I copied all of the installation files to the root of C:\ and tried again - still no joy.

It's a fresh install logged in as administrator (it's just a local machine not part of a domain or anything.

If I try and install SQL Express 2008 R2 from an MSDN download that installs fine - however that's not good enough for the Rockwell DVD, when you go back to install FactoryTalk from the menu it seems to want to do it all again......

Any ideas ?

I had the same problem last time I re-installed my OS (I was installing factory talk view studio 7.0). I kept getting the blue screen when the install reached a certain point. called tech support and I had to disable a windows driver and then enable it again once it finished installing. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what the driver was called

Yes

I did actually get this to work.... My problem was that I was using a "#" symbol in the SQL password - although that symbol should be OK it wasn't. When I used a simpler password without the "#" it installed with no problem.

Hope this helps.