Just another AB to SIemens comm (technical details)

ckchew666

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure many of the experience users here have configure AB (SLC 500) to Siemens S7-400 before.

The Siemens is the Master & AB SLC 500 is the slave c/w SST-PFB-SLC.

If I understand correctly, there are M0 & M1 file in the SST-PFB-SLC module, how does this file/data being map/address in Siemens? Does Siemens has some sort like BTR/BTW?

I'm totally new to siemens and SST module :( hope someone can guide :)

We are using the SST-PFB-SLC or shall we go for SST-PFB-SLC-ADP? Referring to : http://www.mysst.com/bcm/content.asp

Thx in advance.

Last edited:
The Siemens is the Master & AB SLC 500 is the slave c/w SST-PFB-SLC.
From this I take that the two PLCs will appear as i/o to each other.
The inputs in the S7 will be outputs in the SLC, and vice-versa.

If the above is correct, then you should chose the SST-PFB-SLC-ADP because it will make the SLC500 rack a slave on the Profibus network.
I dont know for sure, but I think that there must be some software with the SST module that can generate either a specific .GSD file, or there will be a generic .GSD file.

You will have to import the SLC+SST in the Hardware configuration of the S7 project as a .GSD file. In the HW config of STEP7, use "Options" .. "Install new GSD" and then "Options" .. "Update catalog". There will then be an "SST" module that you can insert in the hardware configuration of the Profibus DP network that the S7-400 has to be master for.

edit: I realise that the S7-400 must be someone elses responsibility, and you will be responsible for the SLC500 only. You should then concentrate on how to get or create a .GSD file that you can pass on to the S7-400 project.

edit again: I just checked Mysst's website. Unfortunately the download of manuals doesnt work, I could only open a leaflet. In the leaflet only Siemens "COM Profibus" is mentioned. This is an older software that was used to setup Profibus networks.
I guess that there MUST be a .GSD file, because this is the standard to exchange Profibus hardware profiles these days.

Last edited: