Automobile: From MES to the Production Lines

userxyz

Hello,

For a new plant we are looking for the best way to connect the MES from our main plant to the new plant. The our MES is Simatic IT. Now because the old plant communicates XML between MES and a Master system, we want to replicate this. We do have the choice between a Master PLC and a Master PC. What I see in the old plant is that the Master PLC does not manage where each cabine is, there is only a received buffer that sends data to the first rfid read on the first line. For the new plant I'm thinking to implementent a SCADA layer. The Master PLC in combination with Scada can translate the XML's, place them in a buffer and this way we can do a lot more. So my question...

What are standards about workflow, data management, implement the ISA95 model... Here they are talking about implement the Scada layer (knowing where each product is) in the MES.... to me this sounds odd....

Opinions ?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
G