ProTool Messaging and Password Setting

John-P

Hi,
I'm a beginner in Protool/Pro CS ver 6.0 SP 3 and I have a project with S7-400 PLC and TP-270-10" touch panel. I ask you to help me about:
1- I want to insert username and password confirming in the first screen, but I can't configure username and match with respected password. I know about password list and insert username and password on it, but only automatic password checking is shown respect to "Enable" setting for objects. I want to show username and password confirming in First screen window, not in seperate window.
Too, I need to have 10 username and password for 10 password levels.
2- I configure messaging, area pointer, message list and others work, but I can't interconnect it to a tag. For Example: If a tag exceeds a predetermined value, I want to a warning message should be shown on screen.
I can't check it in protool/RT, Is it necessary to connect to PLC for checking this? Its because of I'm in design progress and I don't access to hardware yet.
Thank you very much for your help.

Consider using WinCC Flexible for your application.
I have been using Protool for years now, and the Password/system is not as great as one would desire...
In my application, I use the PLC to determine username and password authenticity. It seems to work better that way, but there is a lot of coding required. I use up to 32 usernames and passwords.
Let me know if you need further help.

If you do decide to go the WinCC Flexible route, be aware that there is one big problem associated with Passwords in Flex. As default when you access the Password screen the log-on name of the last user to log on is displayed. Three false password entries will cause this user account to be disabled - permanently! If the account happened to be the Admin account, you may now have a big problem!

The subject has been discussed, so a quick search should turn up some Threads with strategies to handle the problem.

Yes, there has been some threads about how to setup users with Protool.
What you want to do is to have a simple input field where the operator can enter the password, and then he will be logged in. Search and you shall find.

There is no analog alarm functionality in Protool as far as I remember. There is in Flexible though.
If you dont want to switch to Flexible you have to let the PLC generate a regular alarm.

Thank you very much.
From your replies, I understand username setting without PLC configuration is not possible in Protool.
But my major problem is not solved yet. I searched the threads but I couldn't find the thread matched with my problem. A big problem that I have is I don't know: PLC connection is necessary for messaing test? or is it possible that I check it in ProTool/RT simulation program?
I want to know how I can connect a tag to a message? Is it possible only from SIMATIC? If yes please say me how?
thanks a lot.

Never used RT, so I couldn't tell you. I always use a real PLC as the test.
I would say YES to the messaging question though, based on my experience. How else would the "simulation" work? There are tags associated to the messages that you will trigger. (that is done in the PLC code)

or is it possible that I check it in ProTool/RT simulation program?

Yes, you can use the simulator for alarm messages, Scroll down past your tags until you reach "Alarm messages 1#1" or whatever message you want,then tick the start box and "set value" to 1.

I normally use PLCSim with Protool RT to test my programs.

Last edited:
John-P said:
From your replies, I understand username setting without PLC configuration is not possible in Protool.
Usernames and passwords has nothing to do with the PLC program.

Here is at least one thread:
http://www.plctalk.com/qanda/showthread.php?t=20307

John-P said:
A big problem that I have is I don't know: PLC connection is necessary for messaing test? [...]
I want to know how I can connect a tag to a message?
You have to use the area pointers to setup the triggers for the alarm messages and event messages. Messages do not work with the regular tags with Protool.

Thanks a lot

SNK said:
Never used RT, so I couldn't tell you. I always use a real PLC as the test..
As I said before, I dont access to PLC and TP-270 yet.So, I'm in force to check it in my PC.

STL??? said:
Yes, you can use the simulator for alarm messages, Scroll down past your tags until you reach "Alarm messages 1#1" or whatever message you want,then tick the start box and "set value" to 1.

I couldn't find how you say! I search tags, scrol down, but I couldn't find "Alarm messege 1#1", Please address me with more details, thanks.

But my friends, In this project, I'm only Protool designer and SIMATIC designer is not here. He's miles over here.
So, following of your ideas, I cant configure this displays independently. thanks a lot. I'm going to call with him. maybe some of my problems will be solved.
Please if you have another ideas, help me. thanks a lot.

A way for password setting in ProTool/Pro

I find a way that configure usernames and passwords. I configure it with VBScripts!!!

I wrote a script for comparison username and password inputs with predetermined username and password tags.

In this way, I placed another password list independent of ProTool password list in a screen. Then, with input fields, I entered every quantity of passwords that I wanted. at last, in welcome screen, I placed two field for username and password inputting and a button labeled “LOG IN”.

In FUNCTION tab, I selected my script name that has described below:

Before all of above I defined (e.g. for 5 usernames and passwords) 5 tags (user1,…, user5) for usernames and 5 tags (pass1,…, pass5) for passwords.

Too, I defined two tag (inuser and inpass) for operator to input his data on welcome screen.

Then I wrote a VBScripts same as below:

IF inuser=user1 & inpass=pass1 then

CallPtFct.Select_Screen_Fixed(PtScn.welcome, 0)

Else

IF inuser=user2 & inpass=pass2 then

Else

IF inuser=user3 & inpass=pass3 then

Else

IF inuser=user4 & inpass=pass4 then

Else

IF inuser=user5 & inpass=pass5 then

End IF

End IF

End IF

End IF

End IF

* Welcome is the label of First Page Screen.

However, it’s possible with loops and counters for more users, and with arrays too.

It is clear that password leveling and another functions are possible with this way…

I found VBScripts very very strong tool for any work that you want to do in ProTool. But Unfortunately it is limited for quantity of uses.
I will be happy if you send me your ideas about this! thanks.

Thanks

Thanks John-P
I had a problem same as you, but your solution solved it completely!
Although I have to say that in your VBScripts, the sign"&" must be changed to "and". Becouse VB has been designed likewise!