Citect SCADA and Modem comms

Kordain

Hi all,

I am by no means new to plc's and scada but i am however new to the Citect SCADA system. Having read many comments on Citect being so powerfull and verstile I was looking forward to a chance to get 'into' it and volunteered to take on a small and simple? project lately at work. This however has turned into a bit of a nightmare and I would appreciate any direction/help you can throw my way.

The scope of work is, Citect connects to and monitors 2 remote level instruments via modem using modbus protocol. The client presses an on screen button and the modem connects to the relevant site, DL's the readings and disconnects. witha second button for the other site.
Simply right?

While I have no problems setting up the screens, tags, alarms etc I really cannot get a grip on controlling the modem to dial out on demand etc. There was no (apparent) way within citect to handle this so i set to using the cicode and the IODeviceControl and related commands, created the modem board/port/iodevices using the express set up wizard and have played around a lot since then but cannot get the sysem to make the modem dial out. I have had it reading a modbus simulator over a direct cable connection ok, its just the damned modems.

I have been over the help files a lot and set up the modems as standard 9600 etc,

I created a little test project to see if could get it working.
here are links to bmp's of the hardware config & cicode if youd like to look at it.
http://www3.telus.net/Kordain/configs.bmp
http://www3.telus.net/Kordain/cicode.bmp

If anyone has done anything ike this before i would really appreciate some advice to what im sure cant be this complicated.

oh forgot to mention i can control the modem ok through hyperterminal via connecting to the relevant com port :)

Thanks in advance
Mike

Hi Kordain,

OK for your config, but why didn't you fill the "Connexion String" and select "True" as a Linked parameter ? Actually I would be very surprised that Cicode allows you to overrule the selected protocol "as-is". The only way I see to access the modem is by using this "Connexion String" tag.

I immediatly launch a Citect in order to check this point.

BTW in this case I would suspect that some external OPC-linked server could be easier than the built-in drivers. Perhaps more useful for step-by-step tune-up... and such a communication remains to be a major step, if you see what I mean. Anyway, let's go for it ! I will post more ASAP...

Laurent

Ooops Kordain ! my mistake,

I was completely out of subject with my previous post ! And I confirm that I will ALWAYS prefer external drivers with Citect. What a mess !

Laurent

ok the goal posts have changed a little now as i have managed to get the sysem to dial out n read values on the modem. However i want to make it disconnect so that i can call up a different place using a different iodevice. Is there a way to make the modem disconnect?
I have used the IODeviceContro1(1,8,0) to release the iodevice but the modem stays off hook.

Thanks
Mike