CompactLogix L33- will it accept and run a program without I/O for testing ?

Cydog

Good Morning ,

I upgraded a machine a few weeks ago . To continue making improvements without shutting down the machine , I would like to download and run the program in a CompactLogix L33 without I/O in the shop to test some concepts .

Do you see any program doing this ?

Thanks for your advice ,

Hello Cydog.

Please clarify your situation; your L33 is now on the machine but you wish to continue comissioning without I/O?

If the above is correct- RSLogix5000 has a special mode for this called 'program mode', this basically examines all routines and updates every scan- the only exception is Outputs are NOT energised, this is ideal for a commisioning situation like yours.

You will see this mode on the controller pull-down menu next to the controller organizer.

If you are referring to develop and test code AWAY from the machine, something like Emulate5000 would be ideal.

Regards

Daniel.

I have a spare L33 and power supply on the shelf I would like to setup in the office. I would also like to run my ME application also . I don't have "emulate". I just want to load the program on the desk and run to test tag values , etc. The main L33 is on the machine and running .

Thanks ,

Yes, I do this all the time, and yes the trick is to "Inhibit" the I/O modules so you can write to the Input tags.

EDIT : And if I remember correctly, the default configuration of CompactLogix modules is to Fault the processor if the connection is not made, so if that's the case you need to uncheck that box for all the modules that won't be there....

2nd EDIT : Yes, I just checked, default is to "Major Fault the controller..."

2019-01-06_160751.jpg

Last edited:
Then yes- it will be a direct download to your test hardware.

You may have to upgrade/ downgrade your firmware revision in the CPU.

Regards

Daniel.

Last edited:
Just to confirm the two advised steps...

119883 - RSLogix 5000: run a program in a chassis without all the I/O modules
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards
George