Processing power of AB ControlLogix

Shark93

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade and simplify a plant we take care of. Currently there are 10 Control Logix 1756-L61s in the plant.
I pretty easily found out the memory requirement.
I am having trouble finding out the actual processing power of the units. I was planing the replace all of these with just one 1756-L84E. But I'll need to work out the computation power differences. Where does Rockwell hide this info?

Running task manager on the current processors revealed they are at about 70-80% utilization, with around 10-15% of this being communication related, I would assume this would be taken out of the picture once I turn the Rack into just a large remote IO.

Thanks!!

several questions for you.

are all of these plc's part of the same production line?
If yes, I don't see an issue.

are these plc's controlling different productions lines?
if yes, I have a big issue with that.
having 1 plc to control 10 different production lines is asking for big problems.
when it faults or goes down, you shut down 10 production lines, not just 1.

how much production will be lost per minute (dollar wise) if all th lines goes down?
how long will it take to reset the production lines to get them running again?

If a plc goes down in one part of the plant, that's $1100 a minute.

james

This isn't a simple equation you can figure out with a spreadsheet.

You need to look at the networks that are in use, and the connection capacity of each network module.

You need to look at the messaging that's being done, and the number of buffers that might be used up.

You need to look at any motion axes that are being controlled, and what method they are using.

And that's all after you carefully consider the functional separation and dependencies of the various control systems around the factory.

I have consolidated systems into a single powerful ControlLogix in the past, but they were always closely related machines or processes.

Hi & thanks for the responses. The plant is all one operation. If any of the 10 go down the whole place stops. Simple as that. No motion is being used either.

Once we consolidate the PLCs there will be very minimal messaging left over. Memory wise it will easily handle it, I am just trying to work out i the processor will have enough capacity to run it.