HMI or PC for Production Data Display

ian.smith7

Hi All
I have installed an ethernet network to about 30 Allen Bradley PLCs, the network is up and running without any problems.
The intention is to collect data on various aspects of the production line and display/record this data as a more accurate record than the manual system in use now. It is not intended to use the network for real time control of the plant.
My original intention was to install a CLX PLC at the centre of the network and collect all data to that then display/record the data on a HMI in the production office (because this is what I am familiar with).
The cost of the hardware for this is £4K to $5K, is there a better (more flexible/future proof) PC+Software based solution that could be used (Preferably Allen Bradley). As a first guess there will be less than 500 tags (Data Points).
I am a complete novice at PC/Software (SCADA) integration into PLC networks.
Advice would be welcome as it is now time for me to buy the gear for this next step in the project.
Thanks
Ian

Based on what you stated, seems you are most interested in displaying historical data and reports.

My 2 cents worth would be in regards to future proof and stay in Rockwell to use FactoryTalk Historian. Your distributor should be able to talk to you about advantages and prices. You may or may not need a central data concentrator PLC for it either, depending on you intentions.

Hello,

While not an Allen Bradley software product, PeakHMI might work for you.

Thanks for the replies
just had a quick look at some Historian info and it looks quite a complex set up requiring more than one PC running a FTD server then Historian on another machine. I am unclear from what ive read about how the data would be displayed is it tables and graphs only or can graphical pages like an HMI be created?
Our company standard is AB with a full support contract across all our sites. So although I could use non AB products there is probably a long term plan to intergrate on an enterprise level.
ian