Panelview Plus 600 reading from SLC5/03 via NET-ENI story...

Jawmunji

Hi guys

Unbeknownst to you but knownst to me I have used little clues from the forum and I managed to solve my issue. Now I'm no n00b on AB gear but I've never used RSView Studio and I've never used a Panelview plus. By gee they have made it hard.

So in appreciation for your help and in case I forget and need to re-read this in a years time, here is a recap of my game play today and some layman speak for simple engineers like myself - that might make it easier for someone else :)

Setup:
* SLC5/03 out of the RS232 port using magic AB cable to a NET-ENI.
* NET-ENI connected to a network switch.
* My laptop connected to the network switch.
* A Panelview Plus 600 with built in ethernet port also connected to the network switch.

Software activities:
* Install RSlogix 500 and RSlinx. I've been using that stuff for the past maybe 10 years so nothing new there. In the past I only used serial comms. Note: a 5/03 + NET-ENI is cheaper than the 5/05 with inbuilt ethernet that is why I decided to try it. I also have future plans to use a NET-ENI for some other sites that are still 232/485. I probably will.

* Download the ENI/ENIW Utility from AB website. The newest version. Install it. I decided it was easiest to simply plug the magic NET-ENI cable directly into my laptop com port to set the unit parameters. (Why doesn't it have a web interface, sheesh!) In the IP Addr type in the IP info, set the ENI Series, mine was "D". In the Utility settings specify the com parameters (19200 is as fast as a 5/03 can go). Press the "ENI ROM" button and the new stuff goes in. Ping the IP. Too easy.

* Run up RSlinx "classic" (I used to call it just plain old RSlinx, but they've gone and confused the terminology now). Communications -> configure driver. Add and Ethernet/IP driver, press okay a couple of times, leaving default setup. Go to RSWho and viloa, there is the ENI and the Panelview+. Write a quick program to count an integer every second, download it via the NET-ENI to the SLC5/03, run. It's all been easy up to now, and quite as expected.

* Start installing crazy software. Firstly FactoryTalk, then RSView Studio, then RSView Station, then RSlinx Enterprise. I had no idea what they were for except that the Panelview+ needed them. In laymans terms, here is what I discovered they are roughly for:
- RSlinx Enterprise is the new way for RS software to talk using OPC. Sure, RSlinx "classic" could do that just fine, in fact RSView Studio can talk OPC using RSlinx classic if you like. But Panelview+ which runs Windows CE does not use RSlinx classic, it uses a CE version of RSlinx Enterprise. Don't argue, just install it.
- RSView Studio is the development software for the Panelview. It is not intuitive but it is okay. I can say that because I understand and use Siemens Step7.
- RSView station is some sort of emulator for the Panelview+ if you don't have a real one I guess. There is a "test application" button in RSView Studio so I'm not sure if you really need Station anyway.
- Factorytalk is the glue that holds all the RSView stuff together.

* RSlinx enterprise is not like RSlinx classic. There is no "application" as such, it hides in RSView software. In fact, almost everything you knew about RSlinx you should forget.

* RSview studio. Create a new project. There is an explorer type window, pretty standard, a lot of the things are self explanatory. For instance, under progect settings I changed the resolution to 320x240, which is the best the Panelview 600 can do. I created a page, and after much fiddling added two things to it - one is a shutdown button (Objects -> Advanced -> shutdown). Without it, you can't go back to the "operating system" for the Panelview. Think of it like running solitaire fullscreen with no exit button. The other thing I added was a Numeric Display - and I hoped that configuring the tag would be easy. Nah, not really.

* RSView Studio/RSlinx enterprise glue: Down the bottom of the explorer is a thing called RSLinx Enterprise -> Communications setup. You should read and follow this carefully, it will save you many hours of frustration ;)
- Add a new "shortcut". This is the OPC topic. There are two tabs, one says Local and one says Target. Local means the PC you are working on. As in, an OPC path to the PLC from your PC. Target is the OPC path as it would be on the Panelview. So the panelview can talk to the PLC. Get it? Local = PC, Target = Panelview.
- There is a problem with NET-ENIs. If you browse, it will discover the NET-ENI. That's no good, you want it to show SLC5/03. Click on the discovered NET-ENI and press delete. Do not click on Ethernet again, or it will autobrowse and rediscover that NET-ENI. Right mouse click instead on ethernet and add Add device -> NetENI PCCC devices ->SLC -> SLC 5/03. Type in the IP address for the NET-ENI (ie the PLC IP). Now you have the right path - click on it, click on the topic name and then press the COPY button. This will copy the local to the target (they are the same for me). Apply/Ok. Close the window. Go back in again. Click on the topic, click on local/target but do not click on the ethernet and cause it to browse. Just to double check it is right.

* Shutdown RSView Studio and restart it. It seems to need that if you change OPC topic definitions.

* On the test page I right mouse clicked on my Numeric display and selected Connections. Click on the +++Tag for value button, now you will see the topic you configured. Drill down to online, then down to N7:0 (my test counter). This will create an entry {::[topic]N7:0} as the tag.

* save the page. If you press the running man icon "Test application" you should get a little window with your page and N7:0 is counting up up up. Laughing, RSlinx Enterprise is successfully OPCing via the NET-ENI to the SLC5/03. Shut down the test.

* Application -> create runtime application. Then Tools -> Transfer Utility. Again, you get the magic RSLinx E hiding in another RSView application - so click on the path to the Panelview. Now tick Run application when download completes AND TICK REPLACE COMMUNICATIONS. What that replace communications does is setup the RSLinx Enterprise that is running on the panelview with the configuration that you made when you copied the local topic to the target topic. If you don't believe me, in the Panelview if you drill down Terminal Settings -> Networks and Communications -> RSLinx Enterprise Communications you will see Ethernet <No Devices> and you cannot edit it. Only by ticking Replace Communications will the embedded RSLinx Enterprise configuration be updated. In case you press "Reset to default".

The application will run and away it will go. Now at this stage I hadn't created any interesting graphics but I figure seen one OIS/OIT seen 'em all...he says ;)

* Make sure you remember to "Archive" your project. First close the project (remember, you must File->Close project. If you just close the explorer window then you achieve nothing except having to go View -> Explorer again.) Now go Tools -> Application manager. It is part of the FactoryTalk glue I guess. Select Machine Edition (?!) then Next. Here you can backup or restore your project. Talk about making it hard!

Well Like I said, I hope this has helped someone.
Regards,
JAW

Geeez...now why can't they right the manuals like that??!! :rolleyes:

Well written JAW, although if you think you've cracked it with PV+'s, i'm guessing your 'fun' has only just begun!! (y)

Best of luck...

Well done.

What a refreshing change to see someones first post be a helpful document by someone who actually took the time to go through the archives and figure some things out for themself.

Sure beats the " HELP!! I got me sum new parts and can't be bothered to read the manule so please do my job for me" posts.

Welcome to the forum.

One small factoid I found out during one of my RS View adventures was that RS Linx Enterprise ONLY supports Factory Talk Live data.

If you want to do OPC you'll have to resort back to RS Linx Classic.

I guess its Rockwell's way of keeping all the data propriatory.
I found that out while trying to hook up win911 to RS View SE.
Luckily Specter had just released a new version of Win911 with the built-in hooks so I didnt have to go OPC.

Newb problem

Mjellow...

I'm a complete newbe to Rsview, so I have followed this nice guide wich has helped me alot, but right at the end when i press "download" an error message saying "The destination selected is not a vaild device - please select a valid destination and try again" pops up.

I have selected my Panelview 600, called "1, PaneView 600, Panelview plus 600" located under "DH485, Serial-DH485".

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Edit: At startup when you get to choose wich "product type" you wish to configure, I took "Machine Edition". Don't know what this means tho...

Regards

Last edited: