MicroLogix 1200 Connecting to PV 800

Ryan_Flowers

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a MicroLogix 1200 controller that I'm trying to get to communicate with a PV 800 (CAT 2711R-T4T). This mostly likely means that I must use the serial port to connect via the DF1 driver and configure the PV to do so. The PV has to be 25 feet from the conntroller and I obviously cannot buy the 1761-CBL-PM02 to the length I need. So this led me to buy some cable and put the necessary connectors on both ends. I also believe I pinned the din and serial connectors correctly.

The main problem is that I cannot see my PV 800 in RsLinx when I connect directly to it, much less will my controller be able to see it. In the terminal itself, the configuration is for the serial port and the ethernet is disabled.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks

Have you loaded a program into the PV800? The serial port may be active but until you load a program the serial port isn't configured for any particular protocol.

Do yourself a favor and replace the 1200 for a 1400 and go Ethernet, if you have additional I/O it will fit on the 1400. Depending on the model should be under $400
to get a clean used one.

The PanelView 800 connects directly to a MicroLogix 1200 with the equivalent of a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, so that means that the DB9 RS-232 port on the PanelView 800 terminal must be the same kind as on your PC, a "DTE" type port. You would use a "null modem" type cable to connect it to a PC.

Most folks use Ethernet, or the USB cable (which emulates an Ethernet connection using TCP/IP), to connect to the PanelView 800 for download.

I admit I'm not sure if you even *can* download over the RS-232 port to the PanelView 800.