RS232 Serial comms Transfer

ryandodds7

I have camera software which uses a keyboard to navigate, zoom move ect through serial.

I want to be able to replace the keyboard for a PLC so I am able to transfer serial commands between the PLC and camera software (On Desktop PC) via RS232.

Does anybody have any sample code I would be able to use to transfer serial data.

Thanks

You need to know what protocol your camera uses. RS-232 is not a protocol, it is an electrical standard defining the voltages, etc. for communication, and not the information in the communication.

You need to know what binary, HEX or ASCII values to send, and what binary, HEX or ASCII values you will receive in response.

If it was a protocol like Modbus RTU, Modbus ASCII, or some other common industrial protocol, then it would be much easier... but for a camera, I doubt it supports such protocols.

You would have to either search on Google to see if the protocol of your camera is published in a manual, or contact the camera manufacturer if they can send you documentation about the protocol used over RS-232.

Hi thanks for the reply,

it not the camers itself its software, I have a list of data I need to send, I just need some sample code on how to send serial data via plc to a device,

Thanks

I think people are miss-interpreting the post (or maybe I am). I believe he wants to simulate a keyboard connected to a PC by using a PLC to send the keyboard codes to the PC via 232. It to be honest using even 232 keyboards is something of the past & not sure what operating system would still support it.
First of all we need to know what make of PLC, most could send ASCII data but there could be problems as if the PC is busy keyboard protocol uses extra line to control the flow of codes. so as not to miss keystrokes.
I think this is a bit of a non starter, how are you going to generate the keystrokes ? via an HMI ? it will be a bit slow awkward to control etc.