SIL2 Add-On Instructions

Abuuramu

hi all!

I am programing a controllogix 1756-L72 for a safety aplication, this instructions are needed, but i have not found it.

somebody have the SIL2 Add-On Instructions for RsLogix 5000?

Thanks!

Abuuramu - Unfortunately the controller you have is not a safety rated controller. For a safety application your controller needs to have an "S" at the end of it. In your case, you need the 1756-L72S.

Steve

Abuuramu - Unfortunately the controller you have is not a safety rated controller. For a safety application your controller needs to have an "S" at the end of it. In your case, you need the 1756-L72S.

Steve

Hi

the controller 1756-L72 is SIL 2 certified, acording this publication, 1756-RM001I-EN-P.

And i need those instruction for program a SIL2 certified aplication.

Thanks.

ControlLogix can be used in certain System Integrity Level 2 applications, through the use of specific system configurations, I/O modules, and instructions.

These are in fact the first two links found by Google, using the search terms "ControlLogix SIL2".

The 1756-RM001 manual that Abuuramu references directs the reader to two additional Application Technique manuals, 1756-AT010 and 1756-AT012, both of which explain in detail the subroutines (-AT010) and the AOI's (-AT012) used in SIL2 applications.

What's missing from all three of those publications is the AOI programs themselves. They're also not in the Sample Code database, or in the RA Knowledgebase.

You must obtain these AOI's directly from your Rockwell Automation sales office.

Last edited:
As far as I know, they're not a chargeable product.

The requirement is so that RA can be sure they're selling this hardware to a person or organization who is sufficiently educated and experienced to use it effectively.

Ken, that makes lots of sense there is a lot of liability involved in safety products nowadays. When it comes to human lives you can never be too safe.

Well who's life the bean counter or the guy on the plant floor? I quoted a change to a machine Oct. 2010. "That was too expensive" is what the bean counter said. It was only $15~20K. Cheap compared to having a hand smashed off or into two pieces. Does anyone what to bet if the lost time wages and the lay suit is costing them over the $15~20K?
So know I have a issue that the CEO and CFO don't want to hear about the "I brought this to your attention". I left the meeting today with a question as I shook hands with everybody. The question was "What is your child's, wife's, etc. hand worth? Do you want them working on this machine after you cut the budget and didn't see that the safety cost could be justified?"

Hi there !
I'm refreshing the topic.
I tried to find the Sil2 Add on instruction for IB32, IF16/8, OB16D but looks like Rockwell have pulled them out and this things are available in GueardLogix only.
But the question is, does anyone have those add on's saved and ready to share?
Kind Regards

Back before Rockwell acquired Guard Logic. They came out with a way to make the Contrologix "Safety configurable", I never liked it. Some unknowing person could make it UnSafe by changing the configuration.
Once Guard Logic was available, that became the focus, and is a better solution, less dependant on proper configuration.

Thanks Ken for your reply.

That is all known to me, but we operate using ControlLogix5000 platform.
Anyway, Rockwell is willing to share add on again, but it needed official request using our support number.