Adding a module profile in RSL5000

antsrealm

Hi,

I am using rslogix5000 V20 and I just purchased a L30ER controller and a few cards. I am online to the PLC and trying to discover the modules. It can see the first 5 but the final card, #6 a 1769-OF2 Rev 3.1 was un-recognized. I went and added the EDS to Rslinx and now it knows what it is buts says the following when discovering the module...

"A profile must be installed before this device can be created"

I have not had to deal with this before and from what I have read the card is newer then the software I have so I need to add this profile. The question is where do I find this profile and how do I install it ???

Thanks,
Tony.

The modules' profiles are included within the RSL5K install package; however, the user will have to "check" some of the profiles.
Either re-install RSL5K, this time will all the hardware profiles' options "checked", or navigate to http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/ProductReplacement.aspx?crumb=101
Enter the catalog number of the module you are installing(1769-OF2), the category (I/O in your case)and the CPU platform you are using (CompactLogix in your case).
Read the Release Notes, download the .zip AOP (Add-On profile) and then "Import" it within your RSL5K project.

Last edited:
dmargineau,

You are a champion. Thank you. I downloaded the AOP as you suggested and everything is spot on now.

Thanks again.

You're welcome!
For future reference, any time you are installing any Rockwell Automation software, make sure you are choosing all the hardware profiles' options (unless older than dirt!:D); I wish the .exe Auto-Run will default at all profiles and the user will decide which will not be installed...šŸ™ƒ

Last edited:
I'm having a similar issue. I am trying to talk to a Control Logix 5574 processor through an EN2T module. All is well there. Unfortunately, I cannot get a hold of a panelview, also connected via ethernet. I can see the PV through RSLinx, but when I am online is RSLogix5000 and hit "discover modules", the panel view says 'a profile must be installed before this device can be created'.

I recently updated the firmware on the PV to the most updated (7 something) and the processor to be compatible with my program (20.04? i believe).

Any suggestions?

The 'Discover Modules' feature in RSLogix 5000 is meant to browse for I/O modules that can be automatically created in the I/O tree.

PanelView Plus modules should not appear in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree. They do not support an I/O connection and attempting to create one may interfere with the communication of the PanelView Plus and the controller.

You can connect to an old PanelView Standard with an I/O connection, but I doubt they are supported by the 'Discover Modules' feature.

Ok thanks. I am communicating with the PLC via ethernet from my laptop through the EN2T. I am developing an HMI on FactoryTalkView ME Studio, and attempting to set up tag communicating. Currently, the PLC is on, and in RSLinx Classic I can see the processor. When I right click on Data Monitor in Linx, I can see all my controller tags. However, I have set up communication in FT Studio (Add New Server, RSLinx Enterprise, then selecting the processor). None of the tags appear under my new nickname for the processor when I am in studio attempting to animate tags.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? I have had issues setting of communication with FT Studio and a PLC over ethernet in the past.

Thanks for earlier responses

It might be appropriate to create a new thread for this FactoryTalk View Studio / RSLinx Enterprise troubleshooting.

It sounds like you're familiar with the basics of setting up a Shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise, and configuring it to point to a controller.

Do you at least get an 'Online' folder when you browse the shortcut inside FactoryTalk View Studio and the Tag Browser ? Clicking 'Refresh All Folders' is a frequent task to get new tags that were created online to show up.

The FactoryTalk status window at the bottom of the FTView Studio screen frequently gives you good hints when there are configuration or communication problems.

Whenever I'm having tag browser problems I do a full cold reboot of the computer. It works is surprising amount of the time.