Transfer String data from MicroLogix 1100 to Control Logix

SCIPAR_APaul

I need to transfer string data from a MicroLogix 1100 to a ControlLogix 5000 L72 system. The string data resides in File ST9:0 on the MicroLogix 1100 and contains the name of the currently logged in user on an attached Component PanelView C600 HMI. I need to get this name to the ControlLogix system for display/logging purposes.

Are the 2 plc's connected on a network? If so you could simply create a duplicate of the tag in your controllogix plc and configure a Message instruction to read the string from one plc to the other.

Hi

I have only done message block reading String between two clx plcs but I would try to use a message read from the l72 and see does that work. I would see up the message in the l72 plc as I feel it's easier to set up

Donnchadh

Hi

I have only done message block reading String between two clx plcs but I would try to use a message read from the l72 and see does that work. I would see up the message in the l72 plc as I feel it's easier to set up

Donnchadh

I agree with this general approach. If the MSG cannot read the string data type, you may need to COP (or CPW) the string into a group of integers in the Micrologix, then MSG read that group, and next sort it back out as string data on the other end.

Thanks everyone.

Neither the CLX nor ML1100 versions of the MSG instruction support the direct transfer of ML1100 String data to the Control Logix system.

The ML1100 COP instruction does not allow me to move the String data directly to an Integer file. I was able to move the data using independent MOV instructions. e.g.
MOV ST9:0.len N14:0
MOV ST9:0.data[0] N14:1
MOV ST9:0.data[1]N14:2
... etc.

I am able to send Integer data from the ML1100 system to the CLX system without any issues.

Just out of curiosity, if I try to read the integer data from the CLX side of the link, do I have to worry about data integrity? Or does the ML1100 protect the string/integer data file from outside influences during the execution of its rungs.

and next sort it back out as string data on the other end.

OKIE-
when you mention sorting out the data into a string on the other, how is that accomplished?

I have a couple integers i've got converted to numeric values to MSG to my controllogix, but not sure in the L71 logic how to get those values to reproduce as the ASCII characters from the other end...
thanks.