Moving a machine to China?

I've got a similar issue. We want to test our equipment for the China market (230VAC 50Hz Line to Neutral). Our motors work in the US at 230VAC 60Hz Line to Line. We can get a frequency converter to change the frequency from 60 to 50hz. But does this Line to Line vs Line to Neutral matter as long as the potential difference is 230? We want to get a converter but it doesn't specify if the output will be line to neutral. Primarily, we will have a motor, heater, and a 24VDC power supply.

is there a derating factor to take into account of if we go from 60Hz to 50Hz? Some manufacturers say yes, some say no. I'm confused.

The other thing you will run into is what I call “Payback for UL”. In China, everything electrical has to have a “CCC” certificate available or label on the device. It’s the Chinese equivalent of UL and because we are strict about UL listings on goods they send to us, they are strict about CCC on anything we send there. It also plays into the age of the equipment issue; CCC only started about 15 years ago, so anything older than that can’t possibly have it and they will reject it. Got burned on that big time when we tried to do the same thing once about 10 years ago, had to basically rebuild all of our machinery on site, using Chinese integrators and components.

https://www.china-certification.com/en/what-is-ccc/

Last edited: