HMI for home project

andydaoust

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a glass kiln. It will be a multi-segment temperature controller. I'm using an SLC 500 5/04. I'll probably buy a 5/05 for ethernet. I don't need the Panelview software and hardware to interface with the PLC. I can use RS Logix. I would however, like to set up the home computor so my wife could enter a temperature profile and monitor the kiln from inside the house. I thought there might be an inexpensive HMI as compared to the Panel View setup. I searched for HMI; there were many hits. Maybe you could help me narrow my focus.

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:
Check out www.kepsales.com...
http://www.kepsales.com/hmi-products.htm

If the SLC 5/05 is in your price range Infilink should be, too. You can use RSLinx as your OPC server, or the KEPWare server (supports AB Ethernet). You can even download free time-limited trials if you want to check it out.

Be aware: when you call for pricing, you might get me on the phone. Take that for what it's worth. I don't want to use this message board inappropriately.

AK

I've never done it but I've read that the 5/05 (latest OS models only) can contain a small web page which should allow you to enter and monitor values.

Some info is at:
http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1747-rn009a-en-p.pdf

SLC 5/05 processors with OS501, Series C, FRN 6 (or higher) include
not only the enhanced embedded web server (introduced in FRNC/5)
which allows viewing of not only module information, TCP/IP
configuration, and diagnostic information, but also the data table
memory map, data table monitor screen, and user-provided web
pages via Ethernet using a standard web browser.

Someone here might have a link with more info or experience.

nOrM

I like the idea of using Excel. Any hints on how to get started? How would the data get between the PC and PLC? I must have to set up some sort of server eh? I know how to write the basic PLC program. In fact I'm mostly done with the ladder. I don't know much about Excel as a datbase. I'll be going to Tasmania to ride my bicycle in March.

Thanks,
Andy

If your going to use excel you'll need an I/O server RSLInx will do fine as long as its not the lite version then for monitoring you'll just need to set up DDE links..

i.e

1. Setup a topic in RSlinxs DDE/OPC (menu)>> Topic configuration

2. Creat a topic linked to the revevent PLC

3. Then to get data into excel use a =RSlinx|Topicname!'Bit address'

e.g =RSlinx|Kiln!'B3/0' would return the state of bit B3/0 1 or 0

=RSlinx|Kiln!'N7/0' would return the value in N7:0

Hope that helps any problems leave a message I have a few examples I could mail you if required...

Jezz

^^^Yeah, what he said ;)

However, it sounds like you'd also need to poke data to the PLC from Excel. In the Rockwell knowledgebase do a search with RSLinx selected in the product family field and Excel entered as a keyword. There are tons of results, many giving VBA examples and sample excel spreadsheets of how to do this using OPC, DDE, asynch writes, tables, etc...

Sorry I have not replied sooner. I had to work. Thanks for the information. I have RSlinx lite. The information has helped me learn a lot more about PLC's however. The link to the knowledge base was very helpful.

Thanks again,

Andy