Micro820 > Micro850

JohnRatHolten

Hey All,

We recently purchased a new (refurbished with new controls) machine.

The OEM had offered it to us at a reduced price because it was already built for a different customer who had backed out.

After looking at the preliminary drawings I saw some control features I would like to add, I questioned the OEM if they could make theses changes, but their reply was no, as the controls were subcontracted out to a different company and it would be too hard to get them to change....

They did however, give me access to the project files and their blessing to add the features myself.

The controls are done in Connected Component Workshop (which I have never used before), and after looking at the PLC, I see why they didn't want to make changes....

The PLC is a Micro820 2080-LC20-20QBB (with 2 plug-in modules), and they have used every I/O point available.
My first thought was to change the PLC to a larger I/O unit, but it seems the Micro820 has no more than 20 point I/O.
I looked at the Micro830's which has 24 point I/O (which would meet my needs), but the LC30-24QBB does not have an ethernet port. I find that the Micro850 LC50-24QBB does have an ethernet port (but no RTC, not sure if that's an issue yet).

I guess my main questions at this point are;
Is this as simple as opening the project in CCW and using the "Change Controller" selection under the Device menu?
And will the logic written for the Micro820 work in the Micro850?

Again, my first experience with CCW and the Micro line.

Regards,
JohnR

John,

I have only used the Micro850 once...and I can appreciate the heartache you have....

The only thing I can truly comment on is the RealTime Clock, part number #2080-MEMBAK-RTC for the Micro850

Best of luck....

It should be fine so long as there is no used I/O that doesn't exist on the New Micro850. Based on your part numbers, that should work out just fine. Try it, click build and if it compiles with no errors then you have it. If it does give you a build error then it could likely be fixed with something simple.

I say go for it.

Micros are not the devil some make them out to be. We use tons of them here.

Let us know how it goes.

I find that the Micro850 LC50-24QBB does have an ethernet port (but no RTC, not sure if that's an issue yet).

I guess my main questions at this point are;
Is this as simple as opening the project in CCW and using the "Change Controller" selection under the Device menu?
And will the logic written for the Micro820 work in the Micro850?

Hi John,

As John said the 2080-MEMBAK-RTC is what you want but on a 24QBB you would only have the two slots for the plug-in modules so does the 820 have a RTC module? if yes you should be able to use that and what is the other module?

Should be a easy change out, the only thing I have found different between the 820 and 850 is the use of expansion modules are supported in the 850, so if you add expansion mods your addressing would change

I think you already have the module but I made a couple of cheat sheets with the compatibilities with the 850 and 820 because thats what I sell a lot of https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-micro800/

2080-IF4
2080-OF2

I changed to controller to the 850 and compiled,
showed no errors

Linking for 2080LC5024QBBK
MICRO850: 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
CONTROLLER: 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build End ------
-------------------- Post-build project: CONTROLLER --------------------
-------------------- Post-build resource: Micro850 Configuration: Micro850 --------------
Micro850: 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build End ------
Build Time: 14.1 seconds
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Are you using the RTC in your program? if not then you would not need it so no big deal but if you are using it you would need to get a 2085-IF4 and use get a 2080-MEMBAK-RTC or you could go with a 48QBB if you have the room or just roll your own RTC

Again, my first experience with CCW and Micro800, still trying to find my way around the program.

I would think if the RTC was being used in the 820, I would see some error when I do the build for an 850?

I'm old school, and this tag based stuff is still confusing me. :)

Also, I believe I read the expansion modules for the 820 DONT work in a 850.
They look identical, but I'm pretty sure thats what the AB manual said.

Micro 800 series controllers support both "plug in" modules that mount on top of the controller base, and "expansion" modules that connect to the right of the controller.

Plug-In modules are Series 2080, and are supported by all the controllers that have plug-in slots (i.e. not the 810, but 820, 830, 850, 870).

Expansion modules are Series 2085, and are supported only by the Micro 850 and Micro 870 controllers.

In general, all "Plug In" style modules will work with any controller.

EDIT: I think I see what you're pointing to: the Micro 870 requires the 2080-MEMBAK-RTC2 to support its larger memory for program backup, while the other controllers support the 2080-MEMBAK-RTC.
Thanks for pointing that out, because I did not know about it before this thread.

Last edited:
No RTC, no problem: there is a free-running (HSC?) clock you can use that; after all, there is no problem than cannot be solved in software with another layer of indirection ;)