.apa file is not a valid archive file

Did you just read the last post and nothing else?

Oh boy...

asterof said:
an apa files is a Panel View Plus ME project backup file...

Correct. Or SE as John pointed out. Technically an *.APA file is an APlication Archive file.

asterof said:
...Use Studio Machine Edition to restore it

Incorrect.

To create, edit and test the ME applications, you use FactoryTalk View Studio ME.

To...

Rename
Copy
Delete
Backup
Restore

...ME applications, you use the Application Manager.

Although you can conveniently open the Application Manager from within View Studio, under the Tools menu, it is still a separate software application.

But more importantly asterof,

No one here so far has asked "What is an *.APA file?"

And...

No one here so far has asked "What do you use to Restore an *.APA file?"

So far...

One person has asked about a "problem" while attempting to Restore an *.APA file using the Application Manager.

And...

Another person has suggested an "alternative" method for extracting the application files from the *.APA file, in case the normal Restore method is not working.

The "alternative" method is where the thread is at right now.

I have gotten that useful "alternative" method working.

Others are, I'm sure, attempting it.

awalinski is one. They have attempted to use the "alternative" method, but are having issues.

xC0MMAND0x is querying whether the *.APA file was encrypted or not, as the "alternative" method may not work on encrypted *.APA files.

Perhaps, instead of me "filling you in on what's happened so far", you could try reading the thread from the beginning?

Regards,
George

Application Manager.png

Last edited:
We have had this error when the APA was created on a 32bit machine and attempted to be extracted on a 64bit machine or vice versa. Get whoever created the backup to send you the .mer instead and restore from that.

Hello xCOMMAND0x can you please explain further how to restore from the MED file? I already have the all the files but the TAG file contains a MDF instad of the normal database file.

Thanks in advance!

I recall there was an issue going from FTView version 6 to version 7. The issue was due to the fact that the tag database in versions 6 and below was a Wacom SQL database. Wacom went out of business so any updates to the database died with it. When Operating Systems started moving to 64-bit, Rockwell was in kind of a pickle. The Wacom database wouldn't work with 64-bit architecture. So, if I recall correctly, FTView version 6 would install the Wacom SQL database if installed on a 32-bit machine, or it would install the Microsoft SQL database if installed on a 64-bit machine.

The bottom line is, if a project was created on a 32-bit machine, it cannot be opened on a 64-bit machine unless you run the database conversion tool on the project, first.

Thanks Factory Talktothehand. If it is like that, what a lack of compatibility issue with this products.

It is a pain, but neither the OP's, or your problem are related to the issue of the older WATCOM Tag Database being incompatible with 64-bit Operating Systems.

I don't normally like to "hit & run", but in this case I've got to.

If I have time tomorrow I'll post more.

Regards,
George

Workaround:

Rename .apa to .zip. Yes, that's right, you can do that.

Then, extract .zip file.

Woah! Look at all the files! Cool!

Now, drag and drop into Studio and recreate application manually. Should just take a few minutes.

I dragged the extracted files and drop into the interface of the studio, but nothing happens. I have also tried to drag and drop the files into a new file under "C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\". But still, I can't see the project in STUDIO.

I'm in this situation now. Can anyone explain how to use 7zip to restore from .mer? Thanks in advance.

I dragged the extracted files and drop into the interface of the studio, but nothing happens. I have also tried to drag and drop the files into a new file under "C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\". But still, I can't see the project in STUDIO.

https://7zipguides.com/

Trying to revive this thread. I am trying to import the .MED file from the extracted folder but it is not working. Is there something I am doing wrong?