Red Lion Crimson 3.0 – User program, import/export?

Dyslexicbloke

Hi folks.
I am new to Red Lion Crimson software and could do with a leg up as it were.

I am attempting to create portable code, file handling in this case but it doesn’t matter much.

I appreciate that I can export and import TAG’s and with them any attached code. I am also aware that Widgets can be built and saved for future use in any compatible device.

My problem is that the code I want to run needs to execute in the background on a schedule, easy enough with a program object but how do I make that portable?

I do appreciate that copy and paste would do at a push, but its hardly elegant and open to all sorts of mistakes.

I think I understand that widgets are collections of primitives, which therefore need to be displayed in order to run, and that complex code attached to TAG events lacks the configurable nuances of program blocks.

I have been searching for ages and not found anything, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks
Al

Hi folks.
I am new to Red Lion Crimson software and could do with a leg up as it were.

I am attempting to create portable code, file handling in this case but it doesn’t matter much.

I appreciate that I can export and import TAG’s and with them any attached code. I am also aware that Widgets can be built and saved for future use in any compatible device.

My problem is that the code I want to run needs to execute in the background on a schedule, easy enough with a program object but how do I make that portable?

I do appreciate that copy and paste would do at a push, but its hardly elegant and open to all sorts of mistakes.

I think I understand that widgets are collections of primitives, which therefore need to be displayed in order to run, and that complex code attached to TAG events lacks the configurable nuances of program blocks.

I have been searching for ages and not found anything, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks
Al

I disagree that Copy and Paste is open to mistakes. Right Mouse Click and choose Copy - go to the new Project and select Programs and Paste. Of course if you reference tags that don't exist you will have errors, but you will have that any way you do it.

I do this ALL the time.

Hello,

There is no way to export or import code. Your best option would be to copy and paste the code. As JHarbin has mentioned as long as you have already created the proper data tags this should go smoothly.

Thanks
Jeremy

Thanks for the clarification, I will stop looking.

<<already created the proper data tags>>
That was sort of my point ...
It just seems a bit odd to me that such simple functionality would be missing from what is in the main a great application.

I can build a complex widget, that includes code, and reuse it in any app as if it were origionally part of crimson.
I can even send widget code to someone else to add into their crimson application.
However if the widget is bound to a folder, which is a nice feature, that structure needs to be seperatly created or imported.

To port a program I have no choice but to open a second database file then copy / paste manually.

Its all just a bit clumsy.... I guess what I need to do is maintain a database to use exclusivly as a resource repositorry and document code carefully.

Al

I guess what I need to do is maintain a database to use exclusivly as a resource repositorry and document code carefully.

That's a good idea anyway--in case you HMI takes a ****e and you need to get code back. We have several systems running code that we export into a single Excel sheet for safe keeping. That file is backed onto an offsite storage drive nightly.

That's a good idea anyway--in case you HMI takes a ****e and you need to get code back.

I only have 3 Red Lion HMI in service, the longest one for a little over a year now, so I have not had to replace one yet. I saved my database as image.cdi on the root of the CF cards (except for my G304K). In the shop, this worked fine for cloning the HMI. Just move the card to a new one, fire it up, and it will load the image, and have all the data logs too, so nothing is lost. I have a pre-programmed spare on the shelf for the G304K.

Of course we save a copy of the cd3 file on a shared network drive that gets backed up by the IT dept.