Unable to add module for messaging

luisarcher

Hi guys,

I have 2 PLCs (CompactLogix 5069-L306ER and 1756-L72) which I am tryng to make communicate via Ethernet to send messages.

First, I started by configuring the CompactLogix. It has integrated Ethernet ports, so I only had to add the EthernetIP from the L72 and then add the controller, which worked like a charm (see CompactLogix.PNG). I tested sending the message, and there was no error on the msg box.

Then, I started configuring the L72. I added the EthernetIP module, and then, when comes the time to add the CompactLogix, I cannot find it. I used the discoverable modules tool and it showed me the CompactLogix (see DiscoveryModule). I then clicked on created and I get this weird error (see Error.PNG).

I'm using Studio 5000 and I've looked online, only have not been really successfull. Can you guys help me ?

Thanks a lot,
luisarcher.

CompactLogix.jpg DiscoveryModule.jpg Error.jpg

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, you cannot add a module instance to the I/O Configuration of another controller that is in Run Mode, as your screenshots suggest that you are attempting to do.

Can you try with the controller set to Remote Run, or Program Mode even?

However, I do not believe that you can add a processor module instance under any mode? Whether this is still true for the newer processors, such as the 5069 family, I am not entirely sure? I do know that you can add the newer 5069 I/O modules while in Remote Run Mode, similar to 1756 I/O (since RSLogix 5000 v15), but I would still assume not for the processors.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Just another little "by the way" on what you are attempting...

For explicit messaging between two Logix controllers, you do not have to add each controller into the other controller's I/O Configuration in order to successfully route messages between them.

You could "simply" type the correct path into the MSG instruction setup and it will find its destination node. I say "simply", because the MSG path is not always so simple, or transparent to users.

Adding the destination node into a MSG writing controller's I/O Configuration is a good way to predefine the intended path for selection in the MSG instruction's setup, but once the path has been added to the instruction, the controller instance may be deleted from the I/O Configuration. The path is still valid even without the instance.

In fact, for an Ethernet message between two ControlLogix controllers, you do not even have to have the local 1756-ENxT Ethernet communication modules added to either project's I/O Configuration. The path, when correctly defined, will still be valid and should find its intended destination node.

You may be attempting to add the 5069 controller just to temporarily define the MSG path, as I've described above, as this method is used quite regularly. But if it's the case here that you cannot add the controller instance under any mode, and you cannot take the controller out of Run Mode just to add the controller instance, then the point I am making is that you do not have to.

If you have another reason to add the controller into the I/O Configuration, other than setting up for explicit messaging, then I still think this will only be possible with an edit and download.

If you just want to configure a MSG instruction's path, and need some help defining it manually, then just ask.

Regards,
George

Hi Geospark,

thanks a lot for your answer. I was not aware that it was not required to add the other controller's module in the I/O hierarchy for messaging. I will take that into account for future projects.

However, I spoke with customer support and we found the problem. In order to communicate with the L72 and CompactLogix 5069, both projects versions must be higher than 28 (I had the L72 project's at 21.03). So, I updated the project's version and problem was solved.

Thanks a lot,
luisacher

luisarcher said:
...I was not aware that it was not required to add the other controller's module in the I/O hierarchy for messaging. I will take that into account for future projects...

Good. I'm glad I mentioned it now. That one escapes many users for the best part of their Logix messaging careers. It can be a vital fact to know when you cannot take a controller out of Run Mode to edit and download a modified I/O Configuration. Manually configuring MSG instruction paths can be tricky, but at least it is doable when you are in a bind.

luisarcher said:
...I spoke with customer support and we found the problem. In order to communicate with the L72 and CompactLogix 5069, both projects versions must be higher than 28...

Ah yes, good spot. The 5380 CompactLogix 5069 processors and I/O modules would not have existed pre v28 software/r28 firmware.

Studio 5000 v28 introduced the first wave of the CompactLogix 5380 offerings...

5069-L320ER
5069-L340ERM

Studio 5000 v29 introduced the next wave...

5069-L306ER <<<Your Processor
5069-L306ERM
5069-L310ER
5069-L310ER-NSE
5069-L310ERM
5069-L320ERM
5069-L330ER
5069-L330ERM
5069-L340ER

Studio 5000 v30 introduced the last offering...

5069-L350ERM

As you can see, your processor was not actually supported in Studio 5000 until v29 was released. So the L72 would require this version minimum before being allowed to add your 5069-L306ER processor to its I/O Configuration.

So that leads back to my own query that I was not so sure of?...

Geospark said:
...I do not believe that you can add a processor module instance under any mode?...

This would now not appear to be the case?

I had another look at your second screenshot which shows us the Module Discovery tab looking at the 5069-L306ER live. I've spotted something I missed the first time. If you will notice, under the "Action" column, the "Create" button is available. This button should only be available for modules that the software knows can be added while in the current operational mode i.e. Run Mode. So this means that adding this particular processor module instance, while in Run Mode, is permitted.

That is also a good fact to know, for all of us.

Thanks for getting back to us and helping me to figure something new out!

Regards,
George