Micrologix 1400 - HMI communication

Marcosbelgo

Hello friends,
I am new with the micrologix and I am having difficulties to thinking what I need to configure to establish communication between MICROLOGIX 1400 and HMI IX-T5F-2 from the Altus. I am triyng make communication throug the channel 2 of PLC with the COMM port of HMI, that is a RS232/485 serial DB9 multiprotocol according to CH2 of PLC. I am using a serial cable DB9 male Female.

I can use any protocol to make this, I choosed the DH-485 because have less configuration parameters.

I have understood that I just have to configure CH2 of PLC on the rslogix 500, according the figure bellow. The configuration of HMI is showned too. What else have to do?

Thanks

Last edited:
On the channel status, in the project tree of rslogix, this channel dont show any work.... but the indicator of channel 2 on PLC display, it is active. In the HMI is showned ''No answer from PLC 1''.

CH.STATUS.png

How do you have it wired (cable(s)) between the PLC and the HMI.

Channel 2 on the PLC is RS232 only you would need a RS232 to RS485 converter to connect to your HMI setup for RS485.

You could use channel 0 on the PLC which does have RS485 pins and configured properly.

See manual chapter 4

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-p.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEnqITUpNs1q9JaYKEAOrv2ubDxnQ

Thanks Mickey,
I was using a serial cable DB9.
In the channel configuration on the RSLOGIX 500, is possible enable DH-485 for CH2. How is possible if the channel 2 is only RS232?
Now, I am trying with DF1 full duplex on the CH2. But, still dont works. Is it need do anymore configuration? Bellow, the screen configuration of RSlogix and HMI for DF1 configuration.

Thanks

dfi-ab.png dfi-hmi.png

DH485 is the protocol using a RS232 electrical spec. on channel 2, when you configure it for DH485. You would need some hardware to make it use RS485 electrical spec. to connect to a RS485 device.

I would double check your RS232 cable, is it a null-modem cable? For using DF1 protocol.

Last edited:
Thanks Mickey,
the cable is not full modem.....
But, I am trying with CH1 Ethernet but it does not work..... both PLC and HMI are in the same sub networking and IP's band....

Ethernet cross over cables are not needed unless equipment is very old. And then an alternative is to put a switch between. But nowadays this is handled by the network card in the PC automatically.

But with your HMI use the Ethernet driver. It's a branded Beijer HMI and I recently used the same PLC.

Last edited:
Then try one.

You will probably have the same issue with Ethernet. If connecting directly to the HMI then a crossover cable may be needed.

Dear, I dont understand why I have to use a null modem cable. The connector of IHM is female and the connector PLC is male. Than is not it already set up for use straight-through cable????

Ethernet cross over cables are not needed unless equipment is very old. And then an alternative is to put a switch between. But nowadays this is handled by the network card in the PC automatically.

But with your HMI use the Ethernet driver. It's a branded Beijer HMI and I recently used the same PLC.

Thanks for suggest, but I dont have switch now, and, I really want why I am not communicating yet, with ethernet. This was supposed to be easy...... both communicate with PC, but dont between it....

A null-modem connects the received pin on one side to the transmit pin on the other side.

See link

https://www.google.com/search?q=nul...0j69i57j0l4.6293j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Mickey,

How do tis cable? In the Micrologix manual, the schematic for the cable construct, does not specify how is the connector, if is male or female. The numbering (adress) of pins to connector male is different for the connector female. In my case, I have a male for a side and female for other.... I am confused. I have the connectors in my hand and when I went to solder, I saw this... the only place that I see this question is:

http://www.cncservicesnorthwest.com/NullMdm.htm

This is a CNC site, where the autor said that if I have a male-female connection, it is already crusader ......

The gender has nothing to do with it, obviously you need the proper gender to make the physical connection. But to make a null-modem cable it is the electrical connections that matter.

Pin 2 to 3
Pin 3 to 2
Pin 5 to 5

Just like your link shows

That's all you need to do to make it a null-modem cable.

Last edited:
The gender has nothing to do with it, obviously you need the proper gender to make the physical connection. But to make a null-modem cable it is the electrical connections that matter.

Pin 2 to 3
Pin 3 to 2
Pin 5 to 5

Just like your link shows

That's all you need to do to make it a null-modem cable.

Dear,

I constructed null modem cable and now, it seems that is communicating (Cable-status.jpg). But, in the HMI display, an error communicate message still keeps on there. My question is about the parameters configuration (HMI.bmp and com.jpg), what have be the values of nodes, handwhaking, ......... and about HMI ports, HMI have two RS-232 channels with different pin-out (pinout-hami.png), which one should I choose?

Cable-status.jpg pinout-hami.png com.jpg

Attachments

• HMI.bmp
    101.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: