Reading SLC/ML1100 through Controllogix?

esamuelson

Here is the deal, we wish to access a PLC network completely separately from the existing network it uses. The PLC network consists of a main controllogix hub with ethernet card, a SLC 5/05 and a Micrologix 1100 all connected via fiber ethernet.

I want to get another ethernet card for the controllogix and plug that into a separate, unrelated network so a different PC can access the controllogix PLC without touching the main network.

Here is my question, is it possible to set up an I/O path (through RSLinx or kepware or some IO server) that will allow me to access tags on the SLC and ML1100?

(PC -> New Network Card -> Controllogix -> Old Network Card -> SLC/ML1100)

Thanks.

No problem. The only protocol that can traverse a path across a ControlLogix backplane is CIP, so we use RSLinx.

In the RSWho browser inside RSLinx Classic, navigate:

Ethernet network -> first 1756-ENBT -> ControlLogix Backplane -> second 1756-ENBT.

On the second 1756-ENBT, right-click and select "Add Device". I'm working from memory here... the selection might be "Add Station" or "Add Address". Either way, you put in the IP address of the MicroLogix or SLC you want to communicate with.

You can make multiple entries in this remote address table, so you can access several Micros or SLCs or other Logix controllers. There are similar steps when you're using RSLinx Enterprise and PV+ terminals.

The principal drawback is that this only routes CIP protocol, so you couldn't access a ten-year-old PLC-5E, and you can't access the web pages in the MicroLogix 1100. For those, you would need an ordinary router.