mov instruction

kripajsw

hello,
In rs logix 5000, i am using mov instruction to send data to equ . I used xio in rung to execute mov, its working when rung is true and sent data to equ but when rung is false its not reseting destination data and equ getting value from mov.
can anyone help me why mov is not reseting data even if rung is not continueous?

you are right, but why mov source and dest value is same when rung is false, my source value is 10 which is on dest when mov is energized and dest value should be 0 when its de-energized.

thanks

When the rung is not energised, the MOV block is not enabled, therefore the source tag is not copied to the destination tag. In this case the value of the destination tag should stay unchanged.

To reset the destination tag to 0, we need to manually MOV 0 to the tag. Alternatively there should be a numeric reset block in rslogix 5000.

thanks for helping me,

source data is 10 , and destination tag is dint (which i named StationCmd), this StationCmd is used in Equ where source A is StationCmd and source b is 10, so when is Mov enabled, EQU activated and OTE energized. When MOv is disable still StationCmd is 10 and OTE is energized, How can i get rid of it?

thanks

I am not sure what enables the MOV in your program. Is it just a BOOL tag? Can you add the BOOL tag as XIO before the OTE?

Maybe you can explain your requirements more clearly. I am struggling to understand what you want to achieve.

Why? You have to explain why you need the MOV and EQU statement at all. Just the have conditions straight to OTE.

is this a homework assignment where there's requirement to use the MOV and EQU instruction?

its a project, where i have to run parts on conveyor, i am using mov to make a cycle . when all photo eye is open mov is enabled and it send data to control routine where EQU energized conveyor bit.
Only problem is when photo eye is closed(or rung is not energized) , still MOV source and destination value is same.

This is why we tell people to not jump into programming until you can figure out your process.

Forget about the programming for a second, explain to us (most importantly, to yourself) what the process looks like. Don't have to be fancy, just need to be logical.

ie. When photoeye A, B, C, and D are all blocked, run conveyor until ..... blah....

ETA: pretend you are talking to a person, if the person follows your instruction to a T, will the process run as you intended?

Last edited:
Place a branch around your MOV command. In this branch place an OTE to a bit. Now create a rung after this one. Start with an XIO of the bit you used above. End the rung with a MOV of 0 to the same destination as the first MOV.

@kripajsw, I think how your thinking the MOV statement works is incorrect.
(If I'm wrong just ignore this comment)

The MOV statement moves a value to the StationCmd tag.
when the condition for the MOV is false the MOV is not moving the data anymore, however the StationCmd tag still has whatever value it had previously. This may make it seem like the MOV is still working however it is not.

The branch with the OTE followed by the rung with XIO will show this as bernie_carlton stated, so will Moving a 0 to StationCmd tag before the rung like nehpets said.