Scada system questions

Oakley

In other threads, some people have noted that they use a variety of HMI's and Historians.

I am curious of the manfacturers combinations that work utilizing a single database - as in Wonderware Archestra platform. Single galaxy that distributes (in a push not pull) data to the HMI and Historian (and probably other applications).

Advantage is that the database entries are only installed and validated once. Historizing a datapoint is as easy as a checkbox.

How many other systems use a single database in this fashion?

As a second question, how many have gone through great pains for installing Historians on other databases other than a version of MS SQL?

Older HMIs log data locally, usually to a flat file. This is bad in terms of maintenance and distributed access. Using a central SQL database makes more sense. Having the capability to support multiple databases is sometimes useful, but typically unncecessary.

Most vendors chose SQL Server because they live in an MS world. It's apparently not worth their while to natively support others. FactorySQL can work with pretty much any SQL database (MS, MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, DB2, etc). Many packages sell "Oracle plugins" or have generic ODBC connectors that will allow them to log to various connections. Other options are data logging utilities (not Historians) that typically support many database vendors. Also, you get guys writing custom code that logs to different databases. At that level programmers will rarely care what DB they use.

I've experienced using many different types of SQL databases. It's difficult to generalize the experience, many times trivially simple, other times you run into painful problems. My most consistant pain in the tail is actually with MS SQL Server (typically Express Edition) when the user wants to use Windows to authenticate the user, but without a domain controller.

What are your requirements?

Oakley said:
In other threads, some people have noted that they use a variety of HMI's and Historians.

I am curious of the manfacturers combinations that work utilizing a single database - as in Wonderware Archestra platform. Single galaxy that distributes (in a push not pull) data to the HMI and Historian (and probably other applications).

Advantage is that the database entries are only installed and validated once. Historizing a datapoint is as easy as a checkbox.

How many other systems use a single database in this fashion?

As a second question, how many have gone through great pains for installing Historians on other databases other than a version of MS SQL?

We actually employ Archestra having migrated from InTouch / InSQL. I find that the ease of a check box in my tag configuration saves a lot of engineering (administration) time and validation time.

Just curious on what other companies are designing the same philosophy into their products.