Sending data to a display via Ethernet

Jack32

Using RSLogix 5000 and have an A/B PLC 1769-L32E Controller.
I have a EDI ED202-ETH-4D-N1 display.
Just want to create a simple counter that will count down from 10
and then reset. Trying to send commands over Ethernet to the display
but I am a little rusty with my PLC and RSLogix 5000. The display uses ASCii commands to set the display.

All help is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the welcome and the response.

I checked it out, but I guess I am having trouble setting up the communication with the plc over the Ethernet. If I can just establish a connection to the display with the plc then I think I can figure out the rest, If it's even possible.

After looking things over I might be able to use the serial port on the controller. Any advice or links to sending ascii over the serial port

Thanks

Most Logix-family controllers* don't have the ability to send raw ASCII or binary data over Ethernet. Instead, they use a more limited and reliable system of tags and connections that are collectively called the "EtherNet/IP" protocol.

But the RS-232 port does have an ASCII mode, and there are both ASCII data handling and ASCII port management instructions in the Logix instruction set.

Start with the ASCII Write (AWT) instruction and experiment a little with your computer and Hyperterminal hooked up to monitor the serial data coming out of the controller.

* Including the 1769-L32E controller. The controllers and modules that can use the Raw Sockets feature include the 1756-L6x and -L6x with the 1756-EN2x and 1756-EN3x modules, the 1756-EWEB and 1769-EWEB modules, and the current generation of 5370-series CompactLogix. Raw Sockets is still much more complex than serial-port ASCII.