AutoCad for electrical drawings line numb.ers

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I use the non-electrical version of autocad.

I am looking for a way to modify all of the line numbers at once. It would be great if I could make it based on the sheet number.

Lets say on my basic sheet I have line numbers [sheet]00 through [sheet]35
So sheet 1 would be 100 through 135, sheet 27 would be 2700 through 2735

On most of the drawings I see they are individual text lines. I have seen it done before where you edit one and it updates all? Does anyone know how to do this? Basically [sheet] would be a variable.

Or if anyone has any examples, or basic advice that might make cad life easier.

Last edited:
If you use sheet sets, you can use the CurrentSheetNumber field in a text entity. You'd have 36 rows of 2 text entities next to each other, 1st text entity containing the field and then the other text entity would have the 00 to 35, just space them so they look like it's one number / text entity.

Very limited exposure to CAD. I will look into 'SHEETS' have not used them before.

Perhaps easier would be to split up sheet number and line number into separate text entities like I was saying, and then just select all the sheet number text entities and change them at once through the properties dialog.

Can you do wildcards? Like 27*? Going to have to try that tomorrow.

No wildcards. If your line numbers contain a character followed by a number, then you can select them all and issue a find command. Select the replace option and replace the character with the number you want. For example, if your line numbers are XYZ01, XYZ02, XYZ03... and you find and replace XYZ with 1 then the numbers become 101, 102 and 103. If the numbers are in a block with your title page, then you can just select the title page and find and replace. If you don't select anything before issuing the find command, your replace will act on all the entities in the drawing instead. :)

No wildcards. If your line numbers contain a character followed by a number, then you can select them all and issue a find command. Select the replace option and replace the character with the number you want. For example, if your line numbers are XYZ01, XYZ02, XYZ03... and you find and replace XYZ with 1 then the numbers become 101, 102 and 103. If the numbers are in a block with your title page, then you can just select the title page and find and replace. If you don't select anything before issuing the find command, your replace will act on all the entities in the drawing instead. :)

Given OP's numbering scheme, won't work, thus my suggestion to break up the 3 or 4 digits. Ex. What happens when you try to replace the 12 in 1212?

I guess I can setup a template page with letters instead of numbers. Then just copy this and replace as needed.

But a lot of times I have a drawing already but the page number needs to change in the new package. That's why I was looking for this specific solution. I will have to dig through some archives to find an example and see how it was done before.

There is a LISP program floating around on the net for years called chtext.lsp that is pretty useful for changing text and text properties in large groups. You can select all and it weeds out the non-text objects then you can change whatever you need. That's what I use for changing sheet and line numbers; crude but effective. You're welcome to the version I've edited.

There is a LISP program floating around on the net for years called chtext.lsp that is pretty useful for changing text and text properties in large groups. You can select all and it weeds out the non-text objects then you can change whatever you need. That's what I use for changing sheet and line numbers; crude but effective. You're welcome to the version I've edited.

Sounds good. I would like to give it a shot. I should learn some LISP stuff anyways :)