Vertical Mount I/O Options

Greg Dake

Hello!

This is a second part to an earlier thread from a few weeks ago.

I have an application where, due to space limitations, I have to mount a PLC I/O rack vertically. I will be using a Compact Logix L-33 processor, but the Compact Logix I/O does not support vertical mounting. In fact AB's SLC, Compact Logix, and Control Logix all do not support vertical mounting. The only option from AB is the 1794 Flex I/O series, which does support vertical mounting.

I don't necessarily need to stay with AB for the I/O, but I do for the processor, which will be an L-33. I'd rather stay away from Flex I/O.

What other manufacturers support vertical mounting of the I/O? (Obviously needs to support Ethernet I/P to talk the L-33)

TIA,

Greg

What's the go with mounting PointIO vertically? If not, I have seen many installations using Wago Eth/IP Coupler and IO vertically. In terms of Ethernet based adapters and IO, you have a huge number of options out there that will work with an L33.

Hi Greg,

Greg Dake said:
...In fact AB's SLC, Compact Logix, and Control Logix all do not support vertical mounting...

Just to confirm the above...

34499 - Vertical Mounting of PLC, Micro800 and LOGIX Processors, Chassis, and Power Supplies
Access Level: Everyone

As it says, it is the natural convection of air that these devices rely on for adequate ventilation and cooling. However, I have seen installations where the equipment has been vertically mounted (where not recommended) but cooling fan assisted to counteract the loss of natural convection.

Heat dissipation is only one factor to consider. Again, as mentioned, shock and vibration may need to be considered, depending on the installation location. The 1769 expansion modules, for instance, are specifically designed to be most securely connected with their locking levers while in the horizontal orientation. If mounted vertically, with the controller on top, which would I'm sure be a more likely orientation users would go for, then there is a much greater chance of vibration causing the locking levers to move downwards and open. This could result in backplane issues and not just a single module.

Note the one exception in the technote - CompactLogix L1 controllers may be mounted vertically. For these particular controllers (L1), whether mounting horizontally or vertically on deeper din rail (35 x 15mm); you are advised to adhere a "bumper" shock absorber due to the greater distance between the back of the controller and the front of the din rail. As the POINT I/O attached to these controllers are of a slightly less robust nature, the blades on the backplane connections are more prone to vibration issues...

591565 - 5370 L16ER/L18ER recommended Bumpers for use with 1.38 x 0.59 in. DIN rail

Jeev said:
What's the go with mounting PointIO vertically?...

That's a Roger...

52864 - Mounting of the Point I/O System (1734) horizontally or vertically

But note, there is a current derating applied on the power supply modules as the operating temperature will increase while mounted vertically...

52952 - 1734 Point I/O: Vertical Mounting

AustralIan said:
...I think certain adapters of 5069 compact io can mount vertically.

Certain, yes...

5069-AENTR%20%20-%20Vertical%20Mount.bmp

The 5069 Compact I/O platform only supports the EtherNet/IP protocol. There is currently a 5069-AENTR and 5069-AEN2TR EtherNet/IP adapter available. Only the 5069-AENTR adapter supports vertical mounting. The 5069-AEN2TR does not.

Note the "R" in both catalog numbers. These adapters are both dual port i.e. embedded switch technology. The difference is the 5069-AEN2TR has more features on board than the 5069-AENTR - integrated Display, USB port, SD card slot. These extra features would make it run hotter and this is most likely why it is not supported for vertical mounting.

The newer 5380 CompactLogix controllers, and for that matter, the 5580 ControlLogix controllers, which both support 5069 Compact I/O, are not recommended for vertical mounting, similar to the technote info at the top of this post.

Greg Dake said:
...I don't necessarily need to stay with AB for the I/O...

But, if you would prefer to, then I would recommend either POINT I/O, or if the budget allows, 5069 Compact I/O using a 5069-AENTR EtherNet/IP adapter, as both options will support vertical mounting.

Greg Dake said:
...Obviously needs to support Ethernet I/P to talk the L-33...

Something perhaps not so obvious?...

EtherNet/IP is probably your protocol of choice for this application and the vertical mounting is narrowing your options. However, and for your own sake in understanding these platforms better when choosing equipment for applications; here is a little eye opener as your statement suggests a lack of knowledge on the options available for the CompactLogix platform...

Within the CIP protocol family you have at the fore ControlNet, DeviceNet and EtherNet/IP. I'm going to assume you have at least heard of all three. Of those, the older 1769 CompactLogix controllers (L3x) support both DeviceNet (1769-SDN/ADN) and EtherNet/IP (1769-AENTR). The older 1768 CompactLogix controllers (L4x) support ControlNet (1768-CNB), DeviceNet (1769-SDN) and EtherNet/IP (1768-ENBT).

The newer 5370 CompactLogix controllers, which include your 1769-L33ER, still support DeviceNet with the use of a 1769-SDN Scanner. The DeviceNet Scanner module is added to the local chassis with the controller. It may then communicate with a 1769-ADN Adapter in a remote 1769 I/O chassis. As vertical mounting is not recommended for the older 1769 I/O chassis, this DeviceNet option would not be recommended for your application.

I'm just trying to point out, if not obvious to you, that Logix based controllers, especially the newer embedded Ethernet breed, are not constrained to using only the protocols supported by their built-in communications ports. Just because the L33ER only sports an Ethernet port, does not mean it cannot receive other types of fieldbus communications via its backplane.

In fact, via the backplane using 1769 modules, it supports...

EtherNet/IP
DeviceNet
DF1
ASCII
Modbus
PROFIBUS
HART

...and others. These type modules convert the incoming fieldbus data to backplane data i.e. CIP.

In a nutshell - certain Logix controllers may receive communications data via their built-in port or ports, which pass the data directly to the controller, or via modules in the chassis which pass the data to the controller via the backplane.

Regards,
George

Last edited: