Kollmorgen Servo Comms...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
All this week I've been installing a upgrade to a control system on a labeling machine we built a while back. Part of the upgrade includes replacing the old, discontinued servo drive with a new Kollmorgen SERVOSTAR CD drive. I used one of these drives on another (completely different) machine, and don't remember having any difficulties... :unsure:

I tried setting up the drive on Thursday, but when I had communication problems, I blamed it on my USB to serial adapter. Today, I borrowed my friend's laptop that has a REAL serial port, but I'm still having the same problem... :(

I'm using their MotionLink software to setup the drive. The 'scan for drives' function DOES detect the drive, but beyond that, I only get 'unrecognized response' errors when it queries the drive. In 'terminal mode' (and with HyperTerminal), the screen fills with characters. IOW, the drive is sending a continuous stream of gibberish (data?) out the serial port.

I called my Kollmorgen rep. (yes, on a Saturday... he's a good rep.!), but he's not that familiar with this specific drive, so we couldn't figure out what the problem is.

While driving back from the customer, I though of a possible reason why the communication failed. This drive has the RS-232 connections on the standard 2, 3, and 5 pins of the DB-9, but it ALSO has RS-485 connections on the remaining pins. I was using a fully-populated null modem cable to connect to the drive. When I got back to the shop, I dug around in my 'cables' drawer (it's a mess!) and found a null modem cable with ONLY pins 2, 3, and 5 connected. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I made this cable when I set up the Kollmorgen drive on the other machine we built.

The drive's pinout is as follows, compared with a 'standard' serial port:

Kollmorgen Pinout 'Standard' Serial Pinout
1 - Shield 1 - CD (Carrier Detect)
2 - RXD (RS-232) 2 - RXD (Receive)
3 - TXD (RS-232) 3 - TXD (Transmit)
4 - Reserved 4 - DTR (Data Terminal Ready)
5 - Common 5 - GND (System Ground)
6 - TX+ (RS-485) 6 - DSR (Data Set Ready)
7 - TX- (RS-485) 7 - RTS (Request to Send)
8 - RX+ (RS-485) 8 - CTS (Clear to Send)
9 - RX- (RS-485) 9 - RI (Ring Indicator)

I won't be back to the customer's facility until Monday, so I can't try the other cable until then. I was just wondering if you guys think this may be the culprit. I'm pretty sure it is, and now I feel stupid for not thinking about the RS-485 connections... :oops:

What do you think?... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

Does your friends laptop also have RSLogix/RSLinx Lite on it? Sometimes RSLinx will grab the serial port at startup and you'll go through all sorts of headaches until you uninstall the RSLinx service or un-install the DF-1 Serial driver. I've lost untold hours to this in the past.

Update...

Glad to see SO MANY responses to my question... :rolleyes: :D

As I suspected, the '3 connections only' cable worked just fine, so the drive is now setup... (y)

To add insult to injury, while searching for this thread, I can across THIS post where I already confirmed that my USB adapter worked with this drive... šŸ™ƒ

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. to Norm... Thanks for your suggestion. I know the 'A-B COM port hog' all to well... ;)