OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing some posts here that I'm not liking very much and because I like this site I'm opting to bow out of this conversation before to much damage is done for me to continue contributing. I say this only because in reading some of the posts, including my own, I found my self reflecting on how I treat others both with intention and perception and I'm hoping that some others will do the same thing and tone it down a little bit.
Be well and good to each other. We all have different views on the world but that's something to be cherished, not something to generate hate.

That is NOT a possibility. Send a couple rings my way and I'll swap you some frozen fish sticks.

Keith

It was about the only meat they had. I got plenty. At least I can make it several ways. Keep the fish sticks. I live 20 minutes from Lake Michigan and have plenty of fishing gear.

The Koreans have neither closed their borders nor put the country under lock-down.
AFAIK, they have made very extensive testing to pinpoint and isolate only the infected.
Seems smart to me. They have contained the spreading of the virus while at the same minimizing the negative effects on the economy.
It is certainly a different tack on this. So, far seems effective.

Science Magazine article on South Korean Covid-19 response

I'm seeing some posts here that I'm not liking very much and because I like this site I'm opting to bow out of this conversation before to much damage is done for me to continue contributing. I say this only because in reading some of the posts, including my own, I found my self reflecting on how I treat others both with intention and perception and I'm hoping that some others will do the same thing and tone it down a little bit.
Be well and good to each other. We all have different views on the world but that's something to be cherished, not something to generate hate.

Tense times for all, no matter what your position is, we are all feeling the impact.

Three days later and the GH stores are still cleaned out. D+W was the most well stocked but I had to go to three stores to gather enough to make meals for five days. Lets say I will either be dead or completely tired of Polska Kielbasa by the time this is over.

D&W in GH is usually well stocked because their prices are so darn high. I lived a few blocks from there and rarely went there except for some fudge ice cream.

They do seem to have some decent prices on Fresh Atlantic Salmon, which I really like. Other than that, I'll go across the street to Meijer. They have Choice cuts of beef for less than D&W has Select cuts for.

Frank's on Washington, in the old Ace Hardware building has some decent fresh Kielbasa, and their Jerky is really good.

If you want some excellent Kielbasa, go to Lewandoski's in GR on Walker Street. I might head there this week. Yep, Grandpa taught them well!

If you see an Orange Challenger buzzing about, that's me!

The numbers have changed a bit. I will use updated numbers now.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/
81 people have died but 1401 have recovered.
There are 6838 people infected now. This number has dropped as the number of infected have died or recovered.
So far 75/(75+1401) have died. That is 5.4%. That is still high but notice that the percentage of deaths to death plus recovered has dropped. This is probably due to learning how to help those that are sick. Notice there are only 6 new deaths and about 264 more people have recovered since the last update. The new rate is 2.27%. The rest of the 6838 will also die or recover. This rate is much higher than the number reported by the stupid main stream media. Eventually their number will converge with my number when there are no more infected people but in the meantime, the MSM under reports the severity of the problem.

We have got to find out what the South Koreans are doing right because the US is reacting instead of pro-acting. There are NO FEED FORWARDS!!!

In the US there are 17 deaths and 85 recovered. That is 17/(17+85)=1/6
WTF? I know a large part of the deaths were old folks in a nursing home but that number is still way too high.

Thanks very much for taking your time to elaborate. I am studying your post and it is helpful for me.

Homeless? Mentally ill? Addicts?
Ok let's say we lock those scum up. What about the poor sharing a home, bathrooms,water sources?

Wow, is this kind of language necessary?
Just want to comment that was born without mental illness, was raised in a family that could afford my education, my inoculations, my nutrition, my recreation etc., and so far I have not been able to find anything I could have done to have such fortune.

Homeless? Mentally ill? Addicts?
Ok let's say we lock those scum up. What about the poor sharing a home, bathrooms,water sources?

Yes listen to experts and yes some extreme measures need to be taken but there has to be sharing and sacrifice.
We must look at ourselves in the mirror and take responsibility for all the inequality around us for wall building and us and them mentality. I have no hope that any of this will happen but quite the opposite.

I guess this will be my last post in this topic because I understand that people opt out.

I was thinking about EVERYBODY (your friendely neighbour, the people in the street, in the shops, people sitting in metro's, at work, your parents, grandparents, children, family....
So we can take care for the weakest.

Take special care for your medical and nursing personal, you'll need them.

We all consider us intelligent? Well: inform yourselves about the numbers.

You have a window of about ten days.

Don't use even a simple mouthmask yourself:
give them to a hospital or nursing home. This will be more efficient for your country. You'll need to take one for the team, meaning: medics and retirement home's.

The one my mother is in send an email asking about cloth to make simple mouthmasks themselves.

In Italy and France they (the hospital-doctors) are talking about 'war triage' within a week. Specially talking about the lack of mouth-masks, within a week ore two, asking people to help them out regarding FFP2's.

And guess what: ALIBABA donated some 500.00 pieces to our country.

If you have a stock of FFP2 or -3: be prepared to give them to hospitals.

For those who wonder what my avatar is about:

2nd batallion Field Artillery.

The last months I was reminded about some basic values I learned there a long time ago.

Alone you mean (almost) nothing
Together you can achieve anything

Honour and integrity.

I humbly serve.

You have to use the CLOSED cases to determine the mortality rate. You cannot use the infected number because you don’t know if they will recover or die. So you must use the number of closed cases (recovered and dead) over the dead to get the correct rate.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

D&W in GH is usually well stocked because their prices are so darn high. I lived a few blocks from there and rarely went there except for some fudge ice cream.

They do seem to have some decent prices on Fresh Atlantic Salmon, which I really like. Other than that, I'll go across the street to Meijer. They have Choice cuts of beef for less than D&W has Select cuts for.

Frank's on Washington, in the old Ace Hardware building has some decent fresh Kielbasa, and their Jerky is really good.

If you want some excellent Kielbasa, go to Lewandoski's in GR on Walker Street. I might head there this week. Yep, Grandpa taught them well!

If you see an Orange Challenger buzzing about, that's me!
Not my first choice for stores either. But my sons daycare is right there and in this case I was trying to gather what I could from as many sources as I needed. Thanks for the beef jerky tip! I've been driving to Muskegon to Drummond's since I moved here.

Our predecessors had to live through wars, famine, plague, etc.
We are being asked to sit on our couches for a few weeks.
We can do this...

+1

Last edited:
You have to use the CLOSED cases to determine the mortality rate. You cannot use the infected number because you don’t know if they will recover or die. So you must use the number of closed cases (recovered and dead) over the dead to get the correct rate.
It is amazing how many people can't grasp this fact.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
China has reported a lot of recovered. I don't believe it.

The mortality rate is 9.5% world wide.
8728/(8727+83207)=0.0949
That is probably a little high because people will only be recovered if they don't die. People go into the dead column before they go into the recovered column. Also, the US is not reporting any recovered. WTF? Eventually the mortality rate will converge on the true value.

Still 9.5% is a lot higher than what the media keeps reporting.
Maybe if they used the correct numbers then people would take this Wuhan virus more seriously.

Also, the US is not reporting any recovered. WTF? Eventually the mortality rate will converge on the true value..

You need to give them time, when I started this thread it was March 5th and only a hand full of people had it in the US now 13 days later 7,300 confirmed 107 deaths and 8 recovered

https://ncov2019.live/data

Its some serious **** and takes a couple weeks to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.