RSLogix 5000 --timer timing bit help

Skidood

Hi there, I am accustomed to working with Logix 500 but have a program modification I need to do on a CompactLogix....
I created a timer...no problem.....created a rung with the timer timing bit as an XIC controlling an output...no problem.
In another routine, (about 3 routines down in the routine list) (well, I guess these are all subroutines but they are not conditional,) I am trying to create an XIO instruction with the same Timer Timing bit but when I hover over the bit, its showing as unspecified, and in the "logic verify" results, it says the bit can't be referenced.
The weird thing is, I was able to create the XIO bit with no issues in the same ladder as the timer (a couple rungs below it)..then copied/pasted the instruction into the other ladder and that's where it shows as "bad"....what am I doing wrong?
If in RSLogix 5000 you can't do what I want, how should I get around it?
Thank you.

Its a program tag...the other timers in the project are controller tags....boy, this sure ain't RSLogix 500.....guessing I need to create a timer with a scope of "the controller" and not the "program" ??

Skidood said:
...In another routine, (about 3 routines down in the routine list) (well, I guess these are all subroutines...

Just be aware of the hierarchy for a Logix 5000 project...

At the higher level we have Tasks, of which we may have several. Next, under each Task, we have Programs, of which we may have several. Within each Program, we have Routines (or Subroutines), of which we may have several.

Tag Scoping...

This project might possibly have only one Task, but sounds like it has more than one Program under that Task. Tags created at one Program Scope cannot be directly referenced by other Programs, anywhere else in the project (i.e. under the same Task or under other Tasks). Note: because Program Scoped tags are not exposed to each other, you may create the same named tags under each Program. So be careful if you happen to see identical named Program Scoped tags used in different Programs, such as a Timer. They are completely independent.

If the same tag must be referenced in more than one Program, then as advised, create the tag at the Controller Scope. These tags may be globally referenced throughout the project.

There are also Alias Tag and Parameter Passing options, but I won't overload or confuse you at this point in time. Perhaps another time?

Regards,
George

Hahaha.....anytime is fine, since I'm always confused anyway.

Thanks for the great encapsulation of the heirarchy, such valuable info when you are at my location in the PLC strata of life. Thanks so much Geo....
;);)(y)