Proficy Machine Edition talking with SVX9000

snakes79

Hello friends, I am tasked to get a SVX9000 Eaton VFD to talk to a plant which uses Proficy Machine Edition (PAC systems RX3I) PLC. The VFD has an OPTCQ card I installed. I have done this using AB ML PLCs but never with a GE. Any help or examples?

Best regards,

JF

The OPTCQ card allows the VFD to speak Ethernet/IP, which the RX3i does not support.

The Eaton OPTCi card supports Modbus TCP communications which the RX3i speaks natively. You're best bet is to swap out the comms card on the VFD to OPTCi so the PLC and VFD can communicate directly, or else you're looking at getting a third device for protocol conversion.

Decent summary here on how to set up the RX3i for Modbus TCP communications: https://www.reddit.com/r/PLC/comments/a3hqcw/configuring_a_ge_rx3i_as_a_modbus_tcp_client/

Last edited:
Thanks much for the help. I cannot find much support from GE. Brino: I do believe the PLC has an ethernet card installed though, which we monitor through Ifix and SCADA.

Thanks much for the help. I cannot find much support from GE. Brino: I do believe the PLC has an ethernet card installed though, which we monitor through Ifix and SCADA.

Beware the difference between:

Ethernet TCP/IP - which is a set of general standards for devices to communicate on an ethernet network

AND

Ethernet/IP - which is an object-based communication protocol developed by Allen-Bradley/Rockwell for devices to communicate on an ethernet network.

The Ethernet/IP name has caused countless hours of confusion over the years, I'm sure. Just because a device can communicate on an ethernet network does not mean it supports the Ethernet/IP communication protocol.

See here for more detail: https://www.rtautomation.com/rtas-blog/ethernet-ip-and-tcp-ip/