AB1784-PKTX(pci) and Dell Optiplex or How do you remove services from Win XP?

TJS

I am trying to get a PKTX PCI card going in a Del Optiplex Win XP box. You cannot disable Plug n Play in this bios as the tech notes say you must per the Wonderware knowledgbase notes.

I can get the card on the DH+ via RSlinx lite and see all the stations so it works. But ultimatley I need Wonderware AB1784KT IO server to use the card. I installed the IO server, it did not work so I uninstalled it but did not remove ALL the Dll's that the uninstall routine asked about (bad past experiences always make me say No-to-all about removing Dlls). Tried reinstalling but now the IO server wont even run..registry problems?

Anyway I have this AB1784KT service running and I dont even have the driver installed anymore. How can I get it (the service) out of XP. I can find no technotes on this. Services can be started, stopped , set to manual or auto, but not removed. You could do this in NT I think. I have a feeling I'm in for a reload of XP to clean it all out.

Any pointers.

RSLogix

Have you tried using MSConfig and stopping those services from starting up with you boot up. The ones you would need to uncheck are Harmony and RSLinx.
I had a similar problem and this worked for me.

I have found the answer (at least to how to remove services from XP).

The problem... a service running in WinXP AB1784KT_IOSERVER but Wonderware IO server has been uninstalled. Want to get it out of the system, since we cannot get a good install of the IO server.

We dont have a Restore point before this date (brand new PC)

The method... Make a Restore Point

-at the command prompt
To see the services window type... services.msc (or go via menu)
the AB IO server will be at the top. Look at properties of a service to see the proper name for the next step.

To remove the service type... sc delete <service name>
service name must be "AB1784KT_IoServer" not descriptive title

Reboot the system

To do this via Regedit...
Go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
Scroll down the left pane, find the service name
Right click it and choose Delete
Reboot the system

Hope this helps someone else in the future.