Running Automax V2 on Win XP

RoadKing_04

I have several machine centers that are still on Reliance Automax Version 2.0. I have been using Win98 and am able to upload/download. With XP I can go online, use the ladder logic, force variables, etc. But I cannot upload and download. Has anyone found a way around this beside upgrade. We have packed bits in network transfers and will have to rewrite a extensive amount of code to upgrade to v3.9 or 4.2.

Thanks in advance!

I'm afraid upgrading wont help. I've used V4.3 and had the same problem. Whats happening is online task manager still runs on DOS and doesnt play well with XP. It causes the laptops CPU to max out at 100% causing the timeout error.

Its been awhile since ive used Automax, but I had an idea awhile back but didnt get to test it. I was thinking, when you go to upload or download, insted of /ALL, doing only one task at a time and waiting @10 seconds inbetween tasks to allow the laptops CPU to calm down.

Besides that, theres not much more information I have. If you get it to work, let me know. Good luck.

Togadude,
We run 3.8,3.9 & 4.3 with XP. I go through and set all the programs to run in Win98 compatability mode. It didn't work for V 2.0 though. I called a company that sells interfaces for older programs. They didn't have anything for V2.0 but said to try running the serial port with the FIFO turned off. I have an VMWare image built to test this. I'll let you know.

Virtual PC is the answer

I have used Win98 under Virtual PC for V4.3E and it works fine. Couldn't get it to run reliably any other way on todays operating systems. Give it a try.

Tom

Thanks Tmccormick!
We also have used VMWare Win 98 image as a work around. I am building a laptop for the electricians to use. I was trying to make it as simple as possible. Thanks for the imput. Maybe some of the other folks will benefit.