Only 4 Ethernet/IP Nodes on a CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1b ?

Rob S.

I plan on using a CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1B , to control 3) PowerFlex 40 with a 22-COMM-E communication card in them. I took notice that in the specs you are only allowed 4) Ethernet/ IP nodes . So that means that I am only allowed one more Ethernet/IP node or device on this PLC , correct ?

Thanks in advance ,

Hi

Just be careful as 1 drive may not only use 1 connection
A item like and hmi screen I think ( I stress think) uses 2 connections.
Now I am only on my phone and I know more ( like Kenđź‘Ť) will be able to answer this with out checking ab site. I will check this when I get home if no one
Else has As I am out on the road at present

Donnchadh

As far as I know, all newer controllers count Ethernet/IP nodes, not connections. This include new L85E ControlLogix.

I can't test this right now, but try adding more than 4 drives to the tree - see what software will tell you...

Thanks Gentlemen . I didn't purchase the L16ER-BB1B yet. That is the one I quoted the customer , but I did not notice the node limit. I am getting a price
on the L18ER-BB1B , that allows 8.

Hi

Just looked at the spec for the L16ER-BB1B and it allows 256 connections but 4 actual Ethernet I/p devices.
You want to add 3 power flex drives which means the L16 will work.
The drives may use more than 1 connection but with 256 allowed you are well covered.
One thing are you adding a hmi screen ?
As I can't answer would that be classed as an actual Ethernet ip device as you would not be adding it to the project tree.with only 3 drives you would still be ok.

Donnchadh

HI

I believe you should be good, as the for the pc the number of connections on this plc is 256 but the number of actual ethernet devices which I belwive is in the project tree is 4.
I would also think the HMI will not add to your ethernet devices as you do not place this in the project tree ( untill the new panel view 5000)but it will use up some connections. With 256 connections you will be good on that. As for the PC ( great info Gary) the same goes for this.

Donnchadh

Check the manual the L16 only supports 4 nodes and the PC will use 2 of those.
what will happen is the L16 will start dropping connections different devices at different time it will drive you nuts

you should make another processor for this project.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um021_-en-p.pdf

Take a second to read the manual. It specifically states on page 130 of the manual that you linked to that your computer is not included in the node count that is a limitation on the L16ER.

Yes, just to confirm...

The new Logix controllers count the number of Ethernet Nodes (devices) added to the I/O Configuration, as opposed to the older method of counting the number of Connections per device.

Any device, such as a drive, distributed I/O adapter, local Ethernet I/O module (1756-ENxT), remote controller, etc., will indeed use up an Ethernet Node. So for the L1, with a 4 Node limit, it is somewhat geared toward smaller applications, such as yours.

Any device not in the I/O Configuration, such as PanelView terminals, programming workstations, Explicit Messaging, etc., will not count as an Ethernet Node, but will use up some Connections. But with the aforementioned 256 available Connections to the L1, this is a relatively moot point.

As Donnchadh has pointed out, consider everything you are likely to add to the I/O tree, other than the drives, and if there are other devices, then count them against the limit of 4 Nodes. If just the 3 drives then you look good to go.

As listed above, the programming workstation, i.e. RSLinx Classic, will only use Connections and not a precious Node. As long as you have plenty of Connections to spare you'll be fine.

Donnchadh,

Interesting to note the new PanelView 5500 terminals and how they can be added to the I/O tree. I just mentioned the new HMI Button Control (HMIBC) instruction in another thread last week. You add the PanelView to the I/O tree in order to have a monitored connection so the instruction can reset the program tag should the connection become unreliable.

Adding terminals into the I/O tree will become the norm as these advancements are made. So we should start getting used to counting them against the Ethernet Node limit when using them with the newer Logix controllers.

I've posted this technote a few times here since the 5370 CompactLogix were released. It's a good explanation and confirmation on what we're describing...

474754 - CompactLogix 5370 Nodes on an Ethernet/IP Network
Access Level: Everyone

EDIT:
GaryS said:
Check the manual the L16 only supports 4 nodes and the PC will use 2 of those...

Gary, where does it say that?

Only devices added to the I/O Configuration tree count against the Ethernet Node limit. The programming workstation is not added to the I/O tree and so should not take up any of the available 4 Nodes here. RSLinx Classic will indeed use up Connections when going Online, etc. Are you mixing up Connections with Nodes? They are not the same thing.

EDIT2: As CLXlifestyle says...

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I've used many L16's recently with all 4 connections used in the IO tree. Unscheduled HMI's and programming stations do not count as a connection. Studio 5K will only allow you to configure 4 device connections in the IO tree.

I have 1 PF525 drive and 3 Point IO modules configured in the IO tree. Also, two HMI's and programming computer works fine.

I notice all the different opinions on this but I can assure you it is correct I ran into this exact problem a while back on a system that I had to work on, it would drop VFD's off the network. called Tec connect is was informed that the PC it's self is not considered a node but the Both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise on the PC will be a node each. both are required to get online and program the Processor. The PC will have just 1 IP address but 2 nodes. While any valid IP address is expectable the processor will only communicate to and from the max nodes no matter how many addresses are on the network. I know it's confusing but if in doubt call tec connect then can explain it better that what you them for.

I've used many L16's recently with all 4 connections used in the IO tree. Unscheduled HMI's and programming stations do not count as a connection. Studio 5K will only allow you to configure 4 device connections in the IO tree.

I have 1 PF525 drive and 3 Point IO modules configured in the IO tree. Also, two HMI's and programming computer works fine.

I notice all the different opinions on this but I can assure you it is correct I ran into this exact problem a while back on a system that I had to work on, it would drop VFD's off the network. called Tec connect is was informed that the PC it's self is not considered a node but the Both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise on the PC will be a node each. both are required to get online and program the Processor. The PC will have just 1 IP address but 2 nodes. While any valid IP address is expectable the processor will only communicate to and from the max nodes no matter how many addresses are on the network. I know it's confusing but if in doubt call tec connect then can explain it better that what you them for.

Got to agree here with Aut0m8n and disagree strongly with GaryS.

I´ve never had an L16 system with 4 nodes, but had the same thing with many L24 systems, with 8 nodes (their limit) in addition to Various HMI´s and PCs connected without ever having a problem.

On the old L32E/L35E compact logix controllers I have run into difficulties calculating how many connections are required for different things, but the new L1, L2 and L3's are pretty much idiot proof.