Max nr of CP341 in S7 300 cpu

Plc_User

What is the maximum number of CP341 cards in S7 300 configuration?
How many can be place next to the cpu?
Can they be placed in extension racks (how many)?
Can they be placed in ET200M racks (how many)?
CPU is most likely the newest 315 PN.
We need the communication cards to talk to a device based on
RK512 protocol. I suppose CP341 is only option (for S7 300 CPU)? Are there cheaper options?

Can the communication parter possibly communicate via 3964(R) in stead of RK512 ? Often the two protocols are supported by the same devices.
If 3964(R) is possible, then you can use the ET200S 1SI module 6ES7138-4DF01-0AB0, of which you can install as many as you wish or as many as allowed by the Profibus/Profinet limits of the CPU. The 1SI module is MUCH less expensive than a CP341 + loadable driver.

If you have to use the CP341 then you can install as many as there are free slots in the S7-300 system. The maximum number of slots in an S7-300 is 4 racks with 8 slots each = 32 slots.
You can expand via ET200M with in principle as many as you need or as many as allowed by the Profibus/Profinet limits of the CPU.

Can the communication parter possibly communicate via 3964(R) in stead of RK512 ? Often the two protocols are supported by the same devices.
If 3964(R) is possible, then you can use the ET200S 1SI module 6ES7138-4DF01-0AB0, of which you can install as many as you wish or as many as allowed by the Profibus/Profinet limits of the CPU. The 1SI module is MUCH less expensive than a CP341 + loadable driver.

If you have to use the CP341 then you can install as many as there are free slots in the S7-300 system. The maximum number of slots in an S7-300 is 4 racks with 8 slots each = 32 slots.
You can expand via ET200M with in principle as many as you need or as many as allowed by the Profibus/Profinet limits of the CPU.

The device only supports RK512 : the device is 'passive' while the S7 has to read certain adresses in certain 'datablock's of the device.
If you place the cards next to the cpu and or in an expansion rack, won't there be a bottleneck on the backplane bus?
Would using ET200m stations be a better choice for this?
The 'device' to communicate with is a Barmag extruder.
Maybe someone has experience with that.

You refer to a barmag extruder (implying one) yet ask how many 341's you can have.
How many 341 cards do you require ? Give us the whole picture.

What are your requirements for the data exchange. How much data, how much fast ?
Is it only 1 CP341 or several ?

The S7-300 P-bus backplane runs at least as fast as Profibus at 1.5M. So no advantage to putting the CP341 in an ET200M rack.