KTX(D) in XP Mode???

arkansascontrols

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone have any luck getting a PCI KTX(D) card to work in XP Mode Virtual Machine under W7?

Upgraded a PC, got FTView, Logix, and Linx installed and working in XP Mode, but need to communicate to the DH+ network through the KT Card. Win7 sees the card but clearly I don't drivers for Win7

XPMode see's one unidentified device listed as a "Virtual PC Integration Device", which I'm assuming is the KT card, but of course XP drivers won't install.

There has to be a work around for this. Anyone got any ideas?

after some trial and error here is what I have learned.

2.57 Drivers for the KTX do indeed work in Windows7 64Bit, and the OS recognizes the KT card. However, if you have software compatibility issues that prevent you from running your applications (FTView SE 5.1.00 for example) under W7 there is not an easy solution. VM's such as XPMode and VirtualBox don't virtualize the PCI bus so legacy hardware on the PCI bus isn't going to work inside the VM guest.

If you happen to have an activation for RSLinx Gateway. You can install this activation under windows7, configure your gateway, and then run Linx Lite inside the VM and connect 'remotely' to your DH+ network. WHAT A KLUDGE! but it does work.

Of course the USB DH+ adapter from AB works fine with W7 and USB devices will work inside the VM so I wouldn't recommend the above solution unless you already have a KT card and an RSLinx Gateway activation.

It's not really a kludge. It's just a limitation of the VM. They can't/don't recognize PCMCIA, ISA, PCI, or PCI-E buses. I have always had good luck with USB though.

OG

Although FTView 5.1 is not supported in Windows7, it does work. I have 5.0,5.1,6.0, and 6.1 FTView in Windows7 VM's. x86 64 bit is not supported until 6.1.

I have used these VM's for some time now.

RSL