How do you make panel door cutouts?

If possible, I've had our machinist take care of it with a few drilled holes and an end mill. I've also used a jigsaw a few times, but then it typically takes some grinding to finish getting it to the right size.

I just have the enclosure manufacture put in all the cutouts. Pretty simple. Send them a drawing and they manufacture the enclosure to that.

Other than that, Bosch makes the best jigsaws.

For fractional DIN size controllers if you do a lot of them Greenlee makes some nice punches. For HMI I use a handheld scroll (jig) saw. Like someone mentioned use a lot of painters tape (does not leave residue) so you do not scuff up the box face.
Also you do not burn off the paint like you do with a grinder.

I second the Makita jigsaw and Bosch jigsaw blades - both excellent. If there were many the same to do as on a production line I would go a different way - water cutter would be best. I also use a hydraulic punch for the holes. Hole saws of any kind and hand wound punches are painful. To finish off the jigsaw cutouts I use this but with a 13mm wide insert and belt.

9032-001_c9704c3bed05166ee141721b90964e48.jpg

Jigsaw is my preferred method, BUT I cut from rear side of enclosure to minimize scratches on paint. Still use many layers of masking tape, but front side doesn't have ANY scratches. My 2 Cents.

What lead time do you see for custom panels like this?

Do they cut before they paint?

Lead time depends on manufacturer. One brand I use most often has always been under two weeks, sometimes only a few days before shipping. Another brand I only use when specified by the customer is average 6-8 weeks.

Everything is cut out before paint/powder coat. They do all that when they make the enclosure components. Like the door, when they run that thru the process in flat sheet form, that is when they do the cutouts.

It's cost effective for me. I have them put in as much as possible so we have little to no enclosure work.

We use punches for the buttons, glands and some standard sized equipment. For the HMI we use a jig saw. Works great (as long as it is not me doing it).

Now I think of it, I bet one could order custom hole punches in any size.

Just use a jigsaw here with good blades and tape.

Just make sure to use some touch up paint, otherwise with mild steel enclosures they'll rust in no time.

Unless it's an enclosure with a lot of cutouts where it's more economical to send off for laser cutting.

What lead time do you see for custom panels like this?

Do they cut before they paint?

Check with Rittal. Several of their suppliers have the machine to cut front doors. Prices are reasonable.

You can also order it how you want it..
http://www.htetechnologies.com/data/siteshare/Article/byid/1006/files/RittalPaintProgram.pdf

Here is a video of just what you need....Rittal Perforex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhvkm7OVEQc

More...
https://www.rittal.com/com_en/rittal-automation-systems/perforex-bc.php?lng=en

Last edited:
thanks for all the suggestions! at the present time, we're just doing one-offs and small runs. probably not enough to justify CNC laser or plasma cutting. I like the jigsaw idea. what saw blade would work best for this? i would guess it would have to be one with a very fine tooth pitch.. ;)

Last edited: