Should You Be Registered To Post?

Should Someone Be Registered Before Posting?

• No, It is not neccessary

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • Yes, WITH e-mail address verification

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Yes, but no verifcation neccessary

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Who Cares?

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can ignore posts I don't want to worry about. What I do hate is the mutltiple number of identical avatars. I was guilty too but just recently disabled mine. I glance through a post and notice a commonly used avatar by a well known poster just to find out on closer inspection it is a new forum user. Granted I am a newbie with few posts, but I did a lot of lurking before registering. Just a pet peeve.

martyh said:
I can ignore posts I don't want to worry about. What I do hate is the mutltiple number of identical avatars. I was guilty too but just recently disabled mine. I glance through a post and notice a commonly used avatar by a well known poster just to find out on closer inspection it is a new forum user. Granted I am a newbie with few posts, but I did a lot of lurking before registering. Just a pet peeve.

Same here. I had been thinking about saying something myself.

Phil keeps mentioning that something new is comeing. I would suggest not having default avatars.

You too?...

martyh said:
I glance through a post and notice a commonly used avatar by a well known poster just to find out on closer inspection it is a new forum user.

I see
10.gif
and instantly think Ron (rsdoran). More often than not, it's NOT Ron... šŸ™ƒ

beerchug

-Eric

Hi Folks,

Regarding registration... doing so allows email notifications, private messaging, etc. I guess if you really want to be part of the community you'll register. If you're here just as a one-time deal to get an answer you probably won't.

Far more guests visit everyday than members. Far more...
Far more people lurk than post. Far more...

We can do all kinds of things to 'force' registration such as disabling any access to non-members, disabling search to non-members, disable posting, disabling replying, etc.
In the end that would tremendously increase the number of members here. But what's the benefit? If we had 1 million members... but only 2000 ever posted what have we done besides making a database table excessively large?

In summary, I prefer that all people register and post. However, the number of 'jerks'(ie. guests who do more damage than good) is quite few in the 'big picture'. They just create more work to delete their posts.

Regarding avatars... anybody artistic out there? Anybody know good sources of getting more... in particular industrial or plc related ones?

Enjoy,

Phil Melore said:

Regarding avatars... anybody artistic out there? Anybody know good sources of getting more... in particular industrial or plc related ones?

Most people just find pictures they like and use a photo editor to make it the right size.

You can do google searches for avatars, animated gif's, etc.

Requiring Registration before being allowed to participate in a public forum sounds a bit too much like not being able to attend a gathering unless one signs a loyalty oath to the party. Gee... we wouldn't want any "boat-rockers" would we???

I believe my middle name is "boat-rocker".

So, as far as required registration, I say "No F'in way!"

BTW, I have never posted under anything other than my registered name... which happens to be my real name.

I further say, get some skin and learn to recognize "chumming" when you see it.

And in case you didn't notice... this poll is very close to "chumming".

(930)

And in conclusion...

The majority has spoken.

Phil has weighed in...

I'm still not sure what happened the other night, but I still think a verifiable e-mail address would have eliminate some people, but a "professional" hacker would have still been able to do damage.

So, I guess we can encourage some visitors to register, some will, some won't.

Time to think up a new poll.

And maybe not!

regards.....casey

regarding avatars

Hello.
I would wish the avatars would not be set to defaults only. (I kinda like my M$Words kitty cat so... :D )
But almost anything can de done and edited into avatars..one good example is M$N Messenger display picture. There are certainly a lot in this link .
kc9ih said:
Time to think up a new poll.
You really like polling, kc9ih. But that's cool! Makes people ponder.

regards
Sherine T.

Userfull register to who remains. Possible to receive acknowledgments, mainly to know who possesss definitive to know.
But consider inadequate, nonsense to keep one register in cadastre more 9100 members. Less being that than 20% occasionally and less 5% it is really present.
The system add inteligence, to elemine 6 months of absence.It imagines, the hundreds of ghosts and thousand of missing members.

there are times when a person sincerely needs a quick answer to a real-world question, (i.e. he's in a jam with a machine down or whatever), and no other reference materials or onsite help is available. i personally find it much quicker and easier to submit a question here, or simply look through answers already posted for what i need at that moment. as stated in some of the other posts, we can choose to ignore the spammers and the posts that look as though the poster is too lazy to do his own research.

not much for $.02

the "old grouch"

I voted YES!

How the heck would registering stop anybody from posting?

If there question or answer is not worth the time spent to register what's it worth?

What annoys me most is the Sticky stuff!

Soon there will be a full page of it.

Phil site looks like AB. Being numero uno makes a lot of people become more critical. It should be like this, it would be better if ... Thats life I guess.