SICK FLEXI soft and Mitsubishi FX5U Over Ethernet

aandjsam

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here may be able to help.

I've got to add a Sick Flexisoft CPU0, with a GENT 00000 Gateway attached, to an existing automation system. The PLC is a Mitsubishi FX5U.

I've tried several approaches, and cannot get the two devices communicating successfully.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

First of all, what have you done so far?
Have you set up the gateway in both GX Works and Flexi Soft Designer?
The firmware version of the GENT gateway detemines what .EDS file you have to import, which one do you have?

First of all, what have you done so far?
Have you set up the gateway in both GX Works and Flexi Soft Designer?
The firmware version of the GENT gateway detemines what .EDS file you have to import, which one do you have?

I believe I've set the gateway up correctly on the Flexi Soft Designer side of things: I've configured it to write to the PLC as a master.

I've been told that all I need to do on the GX Works side is set up an array of 25 integers with a tag that matches the tag in the data sets in Flexi Soft... Can you confirm this is correct/incorrect?

This is the first I've seen about importing an EDS file for the Sick module. I've just downloaded one from the Sick website. How do I import.

Sorry for the amount of questions...

I have just had a quick look at the Flexi manual and one thing comes to mind is that they both are capable of using the Modbus protocol so maybe that's the way to go.
In saying that although I do not have an FX5 and have never done coms on them I have had quite a bit of experience on the older Q & FX series, I have had a quick look at the Ethernet in GXWorks3 and it also appears that a fixed buffer can be set up. Again not gone into any detail but in the configuration you can set up information, there are a number of built in ones but not for the Flexi and there does not seem to be a way of including a EDS file. I also had a quick look at the manuals (you may need to update them in GXWorks) and although a bit chinenglish you may be able to work it out especially if you are just reading data. Mitsubishi have never been very good at translation into English so can be a little awkward.

I haven't used any of the hardware you are referring to above. However in my experience with networked safety controllers the PLC and safety controller have to pass back and forth an "activation code". This ensures that you are reading and writing data to the correct safety controller. May want to dive into the manual and see if the felxisoft has this requirement.

Post the settings of the Ethernet config on the plc. that might help.

They aren't worth posting to be honest. They're incorrect somewhere for sure.

I have managed to configure the SICK controller and am monitoring it successfully via my laptop with a TCP/IP Socket monitor.

The last stage of the task is to actually open the socket and receive data from the SICK to the Mitsubishi. My network config is:

SICK:
IP Address: 192.168.3.200
Writing to port: 12345
Reading from port: 9101

Mitsubishi:
IP Address: 192.168.3.100

I've added an 'Unpassive Connection Module' in the ethernet config, which hasn't really done anything.

I just need to know how to open the port and receive any incoming data, really, the same way I can with my laptop.

I'm assuming you are using GXWorks3, if you look under help in GXW3 and type in FX5 Socket communications in the search there is a manual that deals with this.
FX5 Programming Manual
Instructions Standard Functions/Function Blocks.
Section 12-12.2
These are the manuals you should be able to find them on the Mitsi website
JY997D55801
JY997D56201

Last edited: